1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The human toll of the tsunami - per CNBC's Larry Kudlow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Bob Novak and Laura Ingraham, eh? Welp, I am convinced.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Twitterpology added to vocabulary.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The guy that converted them all is pretty interesting in his own right. He worked on Wall St. before becoming a Priest.

And, other than disagreeing with you on abortion, what's wrong with Novak and/or Ingraham.

Ingraham has adopted a girl from Guatemala and a boy from Russia. You get pretty high marks for that in my book.

But, look, if you have some evidence that Larry Kudlow is a bad guy, lets have it. Everyone on Wall St. knows the guy. Everybody in D.C. knows the guy. Who do you know that's ever said a bad word about him?

Where is the evidence that he would prefer for people to die if it resulted in a better economic situation?

This is silly. Not all Republicans are bad people. When are some of you going to get that?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

At least the two bubbleheaded chicks sitting next to him were able to absorb and correct his error. [/blue]

Fuck, the only thing missing was a "and a bababooey to you all"..

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I could not care less about that red/blue jackoff stuff, so don't even bother.

6. YankeeFan

Yeah, sure.

So, why are you convinced that he meant it as he sounded? Because he's a big, bad Wall St. guy?

What do you know about Larry Kudlow? Do you know him? Have you ever met him? Do you know anyone who knows him?

Do you have anything else that would point to his lack of compassion? Surely, if he's as big an asshole as you think he is, he must have said or done other things in his long, public career that would give him away as a world class asshole.

One flubbed line on live TV isn't enough. Just isn't.

And, he apologized -- not to people who "may have been offended". He apologized. He said he flubbed the line. What more do you want?

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

YF -- I don't think Kudlow is actively rooting for people to die. But I do think that for him and other Wall Street types (and certainly many of the people I dealt with when I covered finance in New York) thought about the humanity of what they do. It's a lack of empathy.

8. YankeeFan

Bob, I would say that some people look at all events through a certain prism. People in politics will look at any event -- even a tragedy -- in terms of how it will play politically. Others first response will be to wonder how an event will be absorbed by the markets.

Some people's first though will be to wonder if the game on Sunday is going to be cancelled as a result.

In part, that's because they're political or financial animals. When Larry Kudlow is on to talk about Japan, they're not interested in take on disaster relief. They want his opinion regarding how the markets are going to respond.

I don't think any of that makes Larry a bad guy.

Larry is smart. He's funny. His drug abuse and recovery humiliated and then humbled him.

He's been very involved in charitable causes. And, I don't now anyone who knows him who doesn't like him.

And, he's not an obscure guy. He's been a public figure for over 30 years.

If someone wants to make the case that he's an asshole, fine. Post a quote from someone who knows him. Post an anecdote about him.

Don't give me one dumb line and the fact that he's a Wall St. guy as you only evidence.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

So you're saying that the economic toll is worse than the human toll?

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's great if Kudlow gives massages to puppy paraplegics in his spare time. That doesn't mean what he said wasn't callous and heartless. And that, as you noted, it's what his audience presumably wants him to talk about.

Maybe Kudlow is a great guy. I don't know him. But people compartmentalize all the time. Churches are full of Christians who hear about Jesus serving the poor and the outcasts, and then go out the door and don't give those same people the time of day.

11. YankeeFan

Obviously, what he said, or at least how he said it, was callous. He admits that.

I just don't think he meant to say what he did. And, I don't think one fucked up comment is proof that he's a callous person.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

No, but the way Kudlow comments it seems like everything is going to be all right with the economy. I'm not sure that's the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted