1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The human toll of the tsunami - per CNBC's Larry Kudlow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Apr 5, 2011.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

“The human toll here,” he declared, “looks to be much worse than the economic toll and we can be grateful for that.” (Skip ahead to 0:38 on the video.)

But, he did apologize -
    Update: On Friday evening, Kudlow offered an apology for his comments through the most intimate means at his disposal—no, not his television show that was airing in an hour—his Twitter account. “I did not mean to say human toll in Japan less important than economic toll,” he wrote. “Talking about markets. I flubbed the line. Sincere apology.”

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2011/03/larry-kudlow-devalues-human-life-with-japan-earthquake-freudian-slip.html

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Kudlow has been notorious for years for welcoming announcements of mass layoffs by trilling about "gales of Schumpeterian creative destruction".

Edited to correct AutoSpell mistake.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Considering the source . . . this is barely news.

Just when you think he can't stoop any lower . . .

Typical of the Wall Street mind-control breed.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Typical Wall Street stooge. And even though the statement is disgusting, he's in denial. The economic impact is pretty severe.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Come on.

The guy's on TV every day. All he was trying to say was that the economic situation wouldn't be as bad as some had first expected.

Certainly he did not mean to say it the way it came out. And he apologized.

That's not enough?

And, if you know Larry, while he's certainly battled his daemons, he's one of the nicest, funniest guys you'll ever meet.

He was always brilliant, yet he nearly pissed away his entire life. he was basically unemployable for a long time and had to work his way back up beginning at small firms.

He's a good guy. He's a success story. He wasn't wishing that more Japanese had died.

I'm not sure why, even if you disagree with the guy politically, you'd be rooting against him.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He said something very stupid on live TV. Ridicule is a perfectly just and sufficient punishment, which he's already gotten.

9. YankeeFan

Oh, sure, make fun of him.

But don't act like you caught him saying "what he really believes".

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

YF -- you know and I know that the Kudlows of the world aren't terribly concerned about the human toll -- or benefit -- of what Wall Street does as long as they're getting theirs. I don't think he's cheering for death, but his slip didn't come out of nowhere.

11. YankeeFan

Bob, I know Larry a little bit, and I know people that are very close to him from when he was at Bear Stearns and through politics.

He's a good guy.

He's also someone who converted to Catholicism later in life. The Priest that converted him is the same guy that brought Sen. Brownback and Bob Novak into the Catholic Church. (Laura Ingraham too, I think.)

Like most adult concerts, Larry is very serious about his religion.

Now, certainly there are religious people who are also assholes. And Certainly economics and politics are what he's famous for (and for doing as much cocaine as Charlie Sheen), but that doesn't mean he's unconcerned by human tragedy.

Larry's been a media personality for a long time, both as a guest and a host. Ask around. I'll bet you find that even folks on the left like Larry.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I absolutely think he said what he believed.

And the lack of sincerity through the twitterpology sealed the deal. Textbook 'nothing' apology, all it was missing was the requisite "to anyone I offended".

Draft saved Draft deleted