1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Huck Goes Home To Wingnut Jeebus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 21, 2007.

1. As I was writing my last post, I was thinking: 'which moron will blanket Bush into this description? Glad to see it didn't take long. Say what you want about W, as a conservative, I'm not a proud voter. However, saying Iraq or tax cuts or raising the deficit were religious-based decisions is ridiculous.
    The only type of political discussions I can't stand are the 'What I'm saying is absolute fact' arguments and blanket, irresponsible statements that only make people like Good Doctor look stupid.

Jones, I can agree with that, and no matter what people on the right say, America is just like any human being ... we want to be liked by all. Even if we think we're the best country in the world. That said, I think what will hold the most water with the next president will be what he does to clean up the mess we're in now. Whether that's Huckabee, Romney, Hillary or Obama, I think getting on the same page with the rest of the world will be the most important in shaping our reputation... Not necessarily the religious beliefs of the person who cleans it up.
    The unfortunate thing is if a guy like Huckabee got elected and were to fail in such repairs, it would go back to his religion being the cause.
    Bottom line: I think religion is such a paper tiger for a President. Religion to elections is "Who's Now" to ESPN.

2. Another one of my favorites ... a lefty quotes the Bible to prove a point, then condemns the Bible for a point it makes (see: Gay marriage.) I could care less whether another person believes the Bible or not, but choose a side. Don't quote it when you need to and say it's bullshit when you need it to.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Mike Huckabee, humanitarian.

4. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Are you kidding me!? Gay marriage? Did I say a thing about gay marriage in that post? NO. Don't you dare preach to me about "choosing a side," you don't know me or my religious beliefs. I did not condemn anything about the Bible, those were your own inferences pal.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I guess I'll have to learn to live without your approval.

If you don't think religion has played a major part in Bush's presidency -- as well as the shaping of the contemporary Republican Party (whose constituency includes almost half the country, in case you didn't notice) -- then you've had your head in the sand the last 28 years.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The same can be said about righties who quote the bible to condemn gays, but also want to cut funding to the poor, schools, etc. and lower taxes for the wealthy when the bible says it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get to heaven.

Both sides pick and choose, and acting like only one side does shows an extreme level of cluelessness.

7. Sure, but righties don't point at the bible for every decision... they don't say, "The poor, education? Oh, that's bullshit in the Bible. Fuck it." Just because those situations aren't great right now doesn't mean the right decides to say the Bible was wrong.

That's what I mean... Pick one. Don't point to the Bible as the root of fact AND the root of lies.

8. sportschick

You think righties don't do that? What planet have you been living on?

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Certainly, there are GOPers who ain't Christian, though I daresay it is a small percentage.

I will say that there is a percentage that are Bible-thumping hate-mongering fools.

10. Ok, Good Doctor, if you can send me those White House transcripts you have (see: What I know is absolute fact) maybe I can be clued in.
    Of course religion has shaped the republican party as of late ... the makeup of the members of the party tell you that. However, this "Major Part" thing is flat-out stupid.
    If you would be so kind... send me the dozens (if not hundreds? After all, it was a "major part" of his presidency) of decisions Bush made solely on religion. I'll be out for a while, so that should give you time to write those babies down.
    Another know-all lefty. Funny how the party who is not in the White House has all the answers.

11. sportschick

Bush's faith-based decisions:

1. Abstinence education
    2. Fundamentalist Supreme Court justices (that one will long outlast his retched presidency)
    3. No Child Left Behind
    4. Giving funding to faith-based charity to provide services perviously provided by the government

Shall I continue?

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Please.

Draft saved Draft deleted