1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hubby State: The Life of Julia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 13, 2012.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Julia is Mary Tyler Moore on the government’s dime. "

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Unless she meant the actress, the character's name is 'Mary Richards.'

The Mary Richards character has no children.

Terrible, artless comparison.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If there's a miscalculation on "Julia," it's that there are certain people who get upset BECAUSE they know how much they rely on government, and they get particularly pissed when you point that out. Especially if they are collecting Social Security and benefitting from Medicare. Or they live in some rugged part of the country where everyone is allegedly self-sufficient but whose economies are based on government jobs (like those places that beg for prisons to be built).

The Wall Street Journal had a great story a number of years back where a reporter detailed all the things along his morning commute -- and generally, things people like -- that were paid for or exist because of government. I don't remember all the details, but suffice to say it was a lot.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Of course, the counter is that a lot of that stuff comes under the "government is supposed to spend money only to protect us and keep our infrastructure" rubric. I try to tune out this sordid political season as much as possible, but I do recall Romney going after the typical targets: National Endowment for the Arts, public television, etc.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The thing is about the column, it had a valid point about the struggles of single women with kids and poverty. But it acted like all of women's problems can be solved if they just got married.

Draft saved Draft deleted