1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hubby State: The Life of Julia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 13, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You'll note, I'm not expecting the author to post on this thread.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This is all part of the "double-talk" for girls and young women in American society.

We are all trained to talk about "girl power" and "you can do anything you want!". I tell my daughters this all of the time but I also add that you must "put in the work and the time" if you really want to excel at a discipline, be it athletics, dance, music, drawing -- whatever they wish. I talk about the "rule of 10,000 hours" with all of my children.

Yet this "Life of Julia" takes the double-talk to a new level. Essentially telling the females that read it, "yeah, sure, do anything that you want but, let's face it, you're probably not driven enough nor disciplined enough to 'pull it off'. We'll take care of you. Free rubbers. Cheap health care. And you'll have enough to volunteer in that vegetable garden".

Few elements in American society are as attractive as a bold, positive woman that can take care of herself. However, the administration doesn't need voters who can take care of themselves. They need people who feel helpless and want free stuff.

The Life of Julia is only missing how the government would pay for Julia's replacement cat every 13 years in her lonely life.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Hopefully, most people are too busy to read this shit. I'm talking about the Julia thing, if anyone is wondering. At least I think I am.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My dog can say things better than you doc.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Where's the panel depicting Julia going over the results of her mandatory transvaginal ultrasound with her state assemblyman?

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm sorry. All points must be argued in the form of posted rap lyrics.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

From the article:

"The decline of marriage and Democratic political opportunism have combined to transform what used to be a situation to be avoided — single motherhood — into a new and proud American demographic, citizens of Obama’s Hubby State."

Yeah, it's too bad accepted single motherhood has caused the disappearance of those unwed mother home jobs and those out-of-wedlock baby adoption businesses. Why, there's no longer scarlet letters being churned out by the sewing industry!

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/03/09/report-some-papers-wont-be-running-next-weeks-doonesbury-strips/

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I endured Julia. Not only is it supremely condescending, it's really hamfisted. If the GOP were smart, they'd shut up about it and let it do its damage to the Dems silently.

But nope... Instead, they rev up the scream machine. Now they seem like they're against things (like more affordable college educations) that almost no one is against. Good call.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For what it's worth...

The Arizona state legislature actually discussed a bill that would require college students to pay a certain percentage of their tuition, so those freeloaders with academic scholarships would stop draining the system. (Athletic scholarships would be exempted, of course.)

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's a pretty low hurdle, I must admit ... But twas Uncle.Ruckus who admitted to having difficulty in articulation.

Draft saved Draft deleted