1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hubby State: The Life of Julia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 13, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The "Life of Julia" site has received a lot of attention in right wing media. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet.

To me, it comes across as pretty condescending.

WaPo columnist (and wife of Jonah Goldberg) slams the site, and sees it as indicative of something bigger, the Hubby State:

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Cue all the angry old white men rage.

3. YankeeFan

You'll note, the author of the Post piece is a married woman, who has a daughter.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is she the one married to the guy who lies about being nominated for the Pulitzer?

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yes. Jonah Goldberg is a nefarious piece of shit. And a really lazy writer. Alex Pareene said it better than me:

http://www.salon.com/2012/05/10/jonah_goldbergs_desperation/

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Also, is it your goal to start three political threads a day? If so, well done.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If only unmarried unemployed people who aren't the Goldbergs were married employed people like the Goldbergs.

8. YankeeFan

That's a huge exaggeration. I haven't done any such thing.

Besides, this is as much political science, as it is politics, and deals with "societal" issues/changes/trends as well.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you can't say it better than that, you might not need to be saying it at all.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Does Julia drive a Cadillac? It is not an accurate portrayal if Julia doesn't drive a Cadillac.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'll give your advice the consideration it deserves.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Is Julia named for the famous Diahann Carroll television series? Does she use her body for "sex" and her TANF card for vodka and lottery tickets?

Draft saved Draft deleted