1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hornets are back

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Dec 21, 2013.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I really like their new branding/logos. Those mid-90s Hornets teams were fun to watch, even if they sputtered in the playoffs.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Gerald Wallace weeps.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Can I not be excited about anything without your contrarian views? Jesus.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Using the Lord's name in vain isn't the best way to advance the discussion.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

To be fair, the quality of play is high enough now that if you weren't watching already, the enjoyment you'd get from a new logo would likely be very limited.

I think you meant you'd be excited to have a team to root for again. But, still, if you weren't watching already, you likely won't get hooked.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This brings up a larger issue. When a team relocates, what should become of the name, logo, colors, team records, etc.? History seems decidedly mixed on the issue.

I'm sort of the thinking, if you move, take the whole thing with you. If you want to retire the name at some point, it shall stay retired within that league. If another team comes to your former city --- either via relocation or expansion --- let them bring their own name and history or start anew.

Winnipeg should NEVER be the Jets again or Baltimore the Colts again, Houston the Oilers again, etc.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Inspired by this, the Chicago Bulls announced next year they will be known as the Zephyrs, the Indiana Pacers will be the Indianapolis Katuskys, and the Detroit Pistons will move back to Fort Wayne.

8. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Why? It's just a name and the city that adopts it doesn't care. New Orleans never cared for the Hornets anyway, and I doubt they'll care much for the Pelicans.

Charlotte LOVED the Hornets. They were more popular in NC than the Hurricanes and the Panthers and arguably more popular than Duke or UNC hoops. When they went away, the state's interest in pro basketball died. The Bobcats have never really been adopted.

Bringing back the name will bring fans back. It'll remind them of the good ole days before Shinn ruined everything. Sure, it's not a fix all. That will come once Jordan gets the hang of drafting better. But it's a start.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Don't agree with the premise. New franchise, new people, etc. If the Hornets were such a buzz, they never would have left in the first place (and for New Orleans, no less). All teams have bad seasons. As for Shinn, hey, lots of teams have unlikeable owners. Good franchises withstand that stuff.

I was really puzzled why Charlotte got another team so quickly when other cities did not.

10. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

People realized how much of an asshole George Shinn was, so they stopped going. Also, after Bobby Phills died and David Wesley left, I dont' think there were many players who carried fan appeal.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

To prevent a lawsuit?

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

George Shinn celebrated a sexual assault acquittal in which he admitted that he'd cheated on his wife in Bible Belt Naw' Carolina by calling the Charlotte Coliseum - a building not even 20 years old and built specifically for HIM - outdated and started demanding a new downtown arena. Yeah, it's fascinating that people stopped forking over money to the guy for tickets.

Draft saved Draft deleted