1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The hops are free, so what's worth drinking?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, May 23, 2009.

1. Could be Oklahoma -- 3.2% beer.

Fail.

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

ST Creme Brulee is a love it or hate it beer. I find it cloyingly sweet- puckered my mouth. It's not for me. Don't enjoy the taste of pumpkin but others have told me their Pumking is like liquid pumpkin pie. I would not get any still on shelves now, however, as it doesn't age well. Wait until this fall's new batch.

That said, I do enjoy Southern Tier's brews such as BackBurner Barley Wine, Gemini Imperial Stout and Big Red. Some folks whose opinion I respect swear by their HopSun wheat and Uber Sun Imperial wheat.

If you want to stick to the malty, less bitter side, you should as recommended look toward Belgian styles. One brewer to get is Ommegang (a Belgian-owned brewery based in Cooperstown, NY- the original brewery in Belgium makes Duvel). Their Ommegang (abbey-style) is a wonderful beer, as is their Hennepin saison.

Some Southern US brewers that could get into AL soon are Sweetwater (GA- Motorboat, Donkey Punch), Duck-Rabbit (NC- Rabbid Duck Imperial Stout, D-R Brown) and Terrapin (GA- Coffee Oatmeal Stout (Wake 'n Bake), Gamma Ray)

Of course, it all depends on which breweries will get distribution in Alabama. Once that is known, it will be easier to pinpoint some beers to look for.

I met some of the folks from the Free The Hops movement at a beer fest in Indiana last month. The work they did on getting this bill passed was tremendous; tireless, dedicated people. I enjoyed tipping back a couple with them. The Olde Towne Hefeweizen they brought up from Huntsville was quite tasty.

Hopefully this also helps motivate local folks to start up some newer microbreweries/brewpubs in Alabama, and release some creative locally brewed things now that they will have more flexibility to brew different styles that weren't previously allowed due to the 6% ceiling.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Exactly, this is where I live and what I am suffering through. I grew up here so I have a hatred for beer now, I can't stand the stuff. However, when I lived in a good state, I actually enjoyed having a beer now and a again.
    If only the Sooner state were not a looser state.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wait a second...there's a CREME BRULEE BEER??

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Montgomery Brew Pub had some decent stuff when I rolled through there a few years back, it's located right down the street from where the Biscuits play.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818/43687

They also have chocolate, coffee and mocha stouts (the latter combining the two former).

www.southerntierbrewing.com has their long, fucked-up list of brews.

7. Every time I go back to Texas, I bring beer back with me. I think that's illegal, but I care not.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    They sure do.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This gentleman would like to have a word with you:

[​IMG]

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Budweiser:Actual Belgian beers::Maginot line:Steel Curtain

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's only been within the last couple of years that Georgia raised its limit. And inexplicably, you still can't have Sunday package sales there.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It still does...

Draft saved Draft deleted