1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Honorable Granny Holtz (R-Fla.)?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Aug 4, 2009.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Could be...

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0809/Lou_Holtz_considers_running_for_Congress.html

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, as long as it works out as well as with Notre Dame and the Jets ... oh, wait.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He did prove that he is willing to lie, cheat and steal to get his way, so he's got that part of being a politician covered.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I was watching the tape, and that Green Party candidate could be the toughest opponent that I'd ever seen. No way that I should be favored by 30% in the polls -- I'll be lucky not to get blown out.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

How will Granny explain to the GOP in Florida that he donated $1,500 to Hillary last year?

6. JR

JR Active Member

Quelle surprise.

A 72 year old white guy is thinking of running for Congress on the GOP ticket.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was fantastic.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Part of the reason Lou got fired at Arkansas in 1983 was his close association with Jesse Helms.

Lou was filming endorsement commercials for Jesse, who was a one-man filibuster against MLK Day at the time, while his assistants were out trying to recruit black athletes. That simply would not do for Frank Broyles. A no-bowl season that year gave Broyles the excuse.

So Lou's political affiliation should be no surprise. Jesse Helms.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Lou once said during one of "Ask Dr. Lou" sessions on ESPN that every man in this country should be required to serve in the armed forces for at least two years.
    Not sure what that means, but I think the short-sightedness of shit like that is interesting in its own right.

And yeah, having been a part of more than my share of that man's news conferences, he'd be a horrible politician.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I support this, because the Senate will be better off with the inevitable loss of scholarships following his departure.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He's right in the middle of their target demographic. ::) ::) ::)

12. I'll give you the Jets, but no way you can say that his time with Notre Dame was anything but a rousing, smashing success. Hell, there's a statue of him in the stadium now.

I'm not surprised he's running as a Republican - he espouses some pretty rigid old-school, black-and-white values in his autobiography and speeches that come straight out of the GOP handbook (shots at the ACLU and so forth). But he also was represented by then-Arkansas attorney general Bill Clinton in a civil suit against him by some Arkansas players he suspended from the 1977 Orange Bowl and I think he's donated some money to both parties.

Draft saved Draft deleted