1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Homer" sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Guess I was thinking paper types when I wrote the ring thing...and I don't think high school radio guys get them...of course I could be wrong on that one, too.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I wanted to be a Homer sportswriter. Homer High School wasn't far from the second paper I worked at, and I waited for an assignment just so I could make the joke one day, but it never happened, sadly.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Local Division I beat writer is also a SE and is buddy-buddy with the coach. Don't mind that - he gets the scoops, works his sources well, etc. But whenever "bad" news comes out - player transfers, suspensions, etc., the writer either sends another reporter to cover the news, runs AP copy or puts a "Staff Reports" byline on top instead of his name.

This has been the norm for the eight years I've watched it happen.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

worked at a small paper and the editor, also the photo guy, wore a team jacket and high-fived players after touchdowns. I did no such thing, and after a touchdown once, the coach's secretary wanted to high-five me. I said 'no, i'm not part of the team." my look probably said enough though.

also seen other photos guys wearing team colors and other reporters cheering. i hate it.

i don't see an issue saying good luck or good win or tough loss. it's called being personable and courteous. as long as you know where the line is, you're fine.

5. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

One time, in college, I was covering an OU/Texas Tech basketball game. I wore a red, black, and white sweater without even thinking about it. About halfway through the game I was looking at what Bob Knight was wearing and I thought "oh shit..I'm wearing Tech colors."
    So when I interviewed Kelvin Sampson one on one after the game he stared at my sweater for a while before answering my first question.

Ever since then I've been very careful to choose my clothing.

6. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

There's nothing wrong with just being polite or respectful. I don't wish any bad on either team so there's nothing wrong with saying, "good luck" to any coach you might interview one-on-one. It's not like saying, 'go get 'em coach, I'm with you all the way!" or "hey, let me know if I can help coach" or "hey coach, I just heard Matzhowski has a sprained whatzit!"
    I always feel terrible when I see a kid get hurt, but I feel that way about any kids on either team. I don't take any joy in either team losing or anyone getting fired. I don't like seeing bad things happen to people, especially good people but at the same time someone's got to lose, injuries happen and good guys get fired - that's just life. It's just my job to work hard and cover the story regardless of the outcome - wether the team I cover wins the national championship or loses every game.
    I've covered a couple of coaches who didn't respect the homers and I appreciated that. They didn't see the homers as real competitors or having real character. They liked reporters who were hard-nosed and competitive and stood up for themselves. Those coaches just expected you to be honest, fair and accurate - and they were quick to help you, even if the news were bad. I had one walk up to me in a crowd once, lean in and whisper "Joe Smith left the team today and he's probably not coming back so we're really hurting at whizzerback."
    Those same coaches also realized homers can be the first to turn on a coach - they just do it in private and behind the scenes. When that coach starts to lose, some homers see it as hurting "their" home team and that homer is the guy who's most likely to start talking to the town folks, revealing or making up personal inside stuff to get the coach fired.
    Ultimately, there's just nothing to be gained by being a homer. Even if you think people "like" you for being a homer, they don't respect you. As a beat writer I'd rather be respected than liked.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

During a two-week span, for some reason, I always happened to wear the colors of one team while covering a high school basketball game. I walk in and I am like "dammit, not again."

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Damaramu, I don't know what the situation was at your paper as far as space and how much you were able to write, but that sounds like it would have been great material for a column or story. A school official in the press box yelling at the refs and cheering when an opposing player got hurt? He deserved to get called out for that.

9. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

I once watched a columnist slam his notebook repeatedly into a table after the team her covered lost. I just felt embarrassed for him and the people who work with him.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Maybe he had his column written in advance and the loss made it irrelevant. [/onbehlafofallalbomhaters]

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

OK, here's a question:

How do you feel about attending a game, as a fan, of a professional or college team in your area, then later writing stories on this team? You're obviously not the beat writer or you wouldn't have the time. But you do occasionally write on the team..

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I almost did that today. I found the only ironed shirt in my closet -- an orange buttondown -- and was taking it off the hanger when it hit me that I'm covering Texas-Baylor today. A neutral-colored sweater took its place.

Draft saved Draft deleted