1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Homer" sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Another guy is covering for me for the week after my wife and I just had our latest. He shows up wearing a hoodie of the big state-rival team for the visiting side and is also a local rival of the home team.

Visiting coach says something afterward and the editor hears about it. He mentions this incident to high school journalism students about staying objective.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No disrespect but you had zero business covering that game. No way you could be objective. Doesn't excuse what the other guy said but still.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I had a high school coach do this to me last night after a playoff game. I stopped her in mid-quote and said, "Please don't say 'you guys.' I just cover the team." She didn't know what to make of that.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I don't have a problem with wishing a coach or player good luck before a game or offering congratulations afterward. That's just common courtesy, if you ask me.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Agreed.

And why did you shake his head? Is that a local custom?

6. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

When I was covering a local high school team the principal of the visiting team somehow found his way into the press box with his wife and they were cheering like mad, but nobody would do anything about it.
    I complained to the AD and he told me to just ignore him.

Well one of home team's players gets hurt from a dirty shot(he was down and the opposing player speared him in the ribs with his helmet) and the ref threw a flag.
    Suddenly the principal is up with his arms in the air "Oh come on!? What foul!?" then the home team's player gets up and starts limping to the sidelines and he goes "He's hurt! Look he's hurt!" and high fives his wife.

You're a principal dude, shouldn't you care about the safety and well being of all the kids at the school? I wouldn't want my kids going to his school.

"Now Damaramu Jr you dropped that game winning TD the other night."

"Yeah.......so?"

"You're expelled."

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A very well-known beat writer in my state has been known to hug coaches on the sideline after a rivalry game win and high-five fans out of the press box window at a conference championship game ... still on the beat, and still considered the writer of record for that team.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I've gotten that when I was on the field after an indoor football game. Drove me nuts. It drives me as crazy as hearing media people refer to a team as "we."

We're. Not. On. The. Roster. We're there to do a fucking job. If you're going to cheer, get your ass a ticket. Otherwise, grab some popcorn and a cup of STFU. Thank you.

9. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Oh, where to start ... the dude I worked with who used to pound the glass in a Div. I pressbox and yell at the coach when he didn't like the play-calling ... the long-time competing beat writer from Big Metro who hugged seemingly every member of the coaching staff as they came out of the locker room after a staff change ... the beloved local HS guy I worked with who would write columns about how he wanted the high school he graduated from to beat other teams in our area ... the D1 beat writer at a previous stop who used "we" all the time and used to yell at "his" players from press row when they made a good or bad play ...

11. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Hey..I think the radio guy usually does get a ring.

I know there was a local radio guy that left to cover the Diamondbacks and he got a ring when they won the World Series.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Know the Red Sox guys did.

As if you couldn't have guessed.

Draft saved Draft deleted