1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Homer" sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hofmann's column about Santana/the Mets was pretty bad. It was a Philly
    Phanatic Pander, for certain.

2. College football radio update guys. Enough said.

3. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Do you guys think it's wrong to say "good luck coach" before a game if the coach were to be talking to you or to congratulate a coach after a big win? Just saying "Good win coach" or something like that?

Oh here's another story. I was covering a game once. Hometown team wins a close playoff game. Well when hometown player catches the winning touchdown a reporter standing near the end zone slaps him on the ass and yells "Way to go XX!"

4. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Yes but what about when radio guy is known as "the voice of rural county" or whatever? If they're the voice of that team isn't there a little bit of homerism that goes into that?

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Dude, where the fuck do you work? That's fucking crazy. Are most reporters like that there?

6. Sure, but not at the Major D-I level. I don't give a shit if you live in Starkville or Clemson, calm the fuck down in the press box when "your" team scores a touchdown.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Years ago, I almost got into an actual fight on press row.

It was at the state basketball championships. One of our outlying towns was playing another rural town from across the state. During the first half, there's a guy sitting three seats down from me yelling encouragement, clapping and even giving advice (Timmy, you can take this guy off the dribble) to the rural town.

After a few examples of this, I motion for a tournament official. Politely remind him only working media should be on press row and ask him to check the guy's credentials. If he is a journalist, remind him of the no cheering policy. Gramps walks down there, talks to the dude and rats me out as the person complaining about his antics. This causes him to increase his output, since I'm "with the other team."

Finally, I yell down the row "No cheering on press row. Go sit in the stands if you're going to act like that." I do it loud enough that several people sitting behind us in the stands hear it. He tells me to fuck off and if I want him to shut up, I'll have to make him. He ends it with "We'll settle this outside."

At halftime, I go down, tap him on the shoulder. He's in his late 40s about 5-foot-9. I was in my early 30s, 6-3 and working out religiously. I guess he couldn't tell that when I was sitting down. But he turned white when I said "Let's go outside, asshole."

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

For some reason, habit I guess, I always say good luck to whoever I interview for an advance story. That includes the out-of-town coaches.

I usually only do it over the phone or in a one-on-one interview.

Not sure why I do it or how I started doing it.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You've had a co-worker ask you to blow him?

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Last year, during a minor-league hockey playoff series I was covering, the woman who covers the other team involved in the series wore her team's colors to every game. Red sweater or jacket to EVERY game. Couldn't have been a coincidence. She high-fived somebody in the press box after one goal. Several years ago, after a playoff game in the same league, a reporter high-fived one of the players he covers after a game. That said, I always wish somebody good luck before a game, whether it's the team I'm covering or the other team. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

My former boss called the college he covered "We." And I covered the high school, and after every Friday night game, it was the same question. "How did we do?"

I cover a junior college now, and about half the coaches in the conference refer to the team I cover as "You guys" when I interview them. Ugh. They're not my guys. Although it's pretty embarrassing when a couple of players give me the "man hug" after an interview. Dude, just shake my hand (if calling him dude won't piss him off).

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

"Well, the lead went pretty well, but there was a metaphor I mixed in the third graf that was really tough. And the cliched coach quote in the fifth. But you've got to have a short memory when it comes to sportswritin'. I just kept taking it one graf and a time, and before I knew it, I had the perfect circle kicker ending."

Draft saved Draft deleted