1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The holy grail for Buffalo hockey fans (and Elliotte too)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 27, 2009.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Some guy sneaked into old Memorial Auditorium and took a bunch of photos of the promised land. Here's the blog:

http://www.roadwolf.ca/blog/?page_id=78

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

That is one cool blog. And I don't just mean the Aud entry. The guy tours abandoned places. Fascinating ... I've done some ghost towning and it's truly remarkable to see what just gets left behind.

3. Awesome.

I'm not a hockey fan, but am a stadium junkie.

That's some amazing stuff. Reading through, I'd be curious to know just how many hours the guy spent roaming around that building.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The copy of DOS is awesome. (On 3.5 AND 5.25 floppys!)

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

They proudly advertised Fried Bologna Sandwiches at the concession stands?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very very cool. Except for the bag of medical waste from the last game.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Pre-9/11, I wondered into Carmichael Auditorium and just stood at midcourt for a few minutes.

The front doors were wide open and the place was empty in the middle of the day.

I don't think I would have the same opportunity today.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

You mock a Buffalo tradition? People bitched -- LOUDLY -- back in 1999, when they were nowhere to be found on the menu at the renovated club-seat lounges at Ralph Wilson Stadium. (And of course, the one on that menu board is correctly made, with cheese, peppers and onions. Oh, and I'll take some Weber's horseradish mustard on mine, please.)

Fascinating photos, if more than a little depressing for those of us who spent quality time there back when the Aud was still rockin'.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No beef on weck? With horseradish, the hotter the better

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

There would have been a riot if they'd left out the beef on weck. (If you ever find a reason to come south to Olean, a damn fine one can be found at the Beef 'n' Barrel on North Union St. And yes, there's a container of horseradish on every table, obviating the need to ask for it.) As it was, they came close by omitting the bologna.

Speaking of weck, when the Buffalo Wild Wings franchise first started, it was called BW3 - Wild Wings and Weck. My dad walked into the one in Muncie, IN, mouth watering at the thought of being able to find one of his favorite meals all the way out in Hoosierland. Sandwich arrived ... and appeared to be composed of Steak-umms piled on a regular kaiser roll, no salt, no seeds. Ummm, okay, he thought to himself, maybe it will be all right with some horseradish. But when he asked the waitress for same, she looked at him as if he'd suddenly sprouted a third eye in the middle of his forehead, then returned with packets of something approximating Arby's "Horsey" sauce and said, "You're not from around here, are you? I'm from California, and they screw up our food when they try to do it here, too."

He didn't go back. And from what I hear, their version of weck disappeared from the menu shortly thereafter ...

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Freaking awesome.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Havok, check out his photos from the old power plant at the base of the Falls, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted