1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hockey News asks readers to choose new senior writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by auggie_ben_doggie, Sep 6, 2008.

1. This struck me as odd, as THN says goodbye to senior writer Mike Brophy:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/17772-THNcom-Blog-Who-do-you-want-to-read-in-THN.html

Fellow editors: When's the last time you asked your readership for input on a hire? Anyone?

2. Babs

Babs Member

Yeah, it's weird. What struck me is that they think they are so powerful they can pick from any writer in the universe. I really question that. They are no longer the go-to source they seem to think they are.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That makes me wonder: If true, is it because others have caught or passed THN or is it simply because they aren't what they used to be? If it's the former, please give props here to any who might make claim for top spot now -- I'd like to check them out.

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

It's simple, the Hockey News had an inside scoop from all the cities that you couldn't read pre-Internet. Now you can read all their contributors first-run in their own papers. And there are surely better feature writers than the group they've got on staff.

5. Babs

Babs Member

Right, if they were smart, they'd go to feature only or enterprise now and do it really well. But no, technology passes them by, they stick to the same format and in doing so have become completely irrelevant.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

i vote for hockeybeat. He's already got the name for it.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Thanks Slap!

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

<b>Senior</b> writer? Gotta be Norm MacLean.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What same format? I've subscribed since the 80s and have seen massive changes.

Have you seen THN lately? They've actually done a good job of adapting to the Internet world.

The notebooks are themed now, so even if the stats in them are updated it's not just "X is out with an injury and Y scored four goals."

They took the stats out at one point, saying they were up on the Web site and weren't going to waste space, but when readers complained they put them back in.

The magazine features are extensive these days, and the Web site is updated daily with new material that doesn't appear in the paper or downloaded issue.

They really do seem to accept reader input -- I've gotten surveys before about if read this, how much I like that, plus they brought back the detailed stats because readers complained.

Gasp! Listening to your audience? What a concept!

Really, where's the harm?

To me, "we'll consider" anyone doesn't imply they think they'll have their pick. It sounds like they're trying to make it look like readers have a say in their decision.

My guess is they have a couple of candidates in mind and hope readers will help narrow their field.

I do like the comments on the story, though. Least I checked, people were discussing the fact they think a blogger should get it.If the new/promoted person comes on a senior writer, it'd have to be a blogger with some serious background, I'd think.

10. They're trying to hire a "senior writer." What in the name of fuck does a reader know about what goes into that job?

As an editor, I'd rather use a carnival dunk tank than some fan vote to determine a hire. This is a joke.

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Yes, I'd agree they have made changes and tried to keep up with the Internet with the themed notebooks, but I'm not sure that didn't come a tad too late - and even still, most of that stuff, while insightful is a week old.

Back in the 1990s, they did well with a featury magazine called Inside Hockey, which I think is what they're trying to move their main product to.

Draft saved Draft deleted