1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous. LOTR was a 1,500-page book, so it was understandable to make it into three movies (and they still left stuff out).

The Hobbit is barely 300 pages. I foresee a lot of masturbatory CGI action sequences, a la King Kong fighting the T-Rex for a half-hour.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Jackson can't get out of his own way.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Haha! I love that song. Nice pull.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The guy made three LOTR movies and couldn't find time for Tom Bombadil.

5. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

This. Right on.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't give a shit. Bring on three movies. I'll watch them all. I am looking forward to this.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Surely you Jest.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

George Lucas thinks Peter Jackson is going back to the well a bit too much with a three-part Hobbit. I guess you could kind of do it if you include EVERYTHING from the book, since it does kind of have acts. However, it's not a good sign that the Wikipedia description for the plot is about five paragraphs long. To me, The Hobbit is the anti-LotR, so it makes no sense to make a three-part saga. The Hobbit is a breezy and fun fantasy read.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The real question is, how much of this was a creative decision by director Peter Jackson, who is in dire need of an editor who will tell him 'no,' and how much of this was a money-driven decision by producer Peter Jackson, who realized he might be have enough footage to squeeze out a sixth ATM from the cash cow that is JRR Tolkien? Eh, I guess we all know the answer.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm fine with it in the sense that we'll get a ton of material to watch but I wonder how they're going to really do this in an effective way without completely killing off what made the Hobbit a fun read in the first place.

I could see if he was releasing the Hobbit first and THEN releasing LOTR as he could use the third film to bridge the two but this seems a bit excessive. Still, I'll be there with bells on. :)

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What are the chances he keeps each film to 130 minutes or less?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

0%
    The total running time of these movies will probably be a combined 10 1/2 hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted