1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The hits keep coming from Gannett in Indy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Mar 14, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Same reason some people work unpaid overtime, rearrange their lives for furlough days, accept tinier and tinier salaries: Because they "love the business" or something.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Or because they have nowhere else to go. We're on a sinking ship, people, and all the lifeboats are gone.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

At 15% paycuts, there can't be that much of a difference between journalism and generic, entry-level GED jobs.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I know if I lost my job I wouldn't even be able to get an entry level GED job. About a year ago I was offered $8.00 per hour from Office Max though. Decided to stay in the biz.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That is a make-em-strike proposal. It is designed to break the Guild, so that management can then fire everybody, then rehire or hire new employeees after 30-50 percent pay cuts.
    Every employee of the Indy Star should be looking for another job, right now. One way or another, at least half of them will need one soon.

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Wish I could disagree with that.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sadly, you're right

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If only there were jobs to find ... that's also part of the problem and one reason why corporate is feeling their wild, fuck-the-employee oats.

Our industry may be sucking pipe, but so is nearly every other. Best friend from my wedding? Took a 10 percent pay cut a few weeks ago. He's at an advertising firm. A family member? Been furloughed once and will be again. He's an engineer.

It isn't just us. Unfortunately, corporate knows it and they're fucking everyone over knowing it.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe as a janitor in Ohio.

10. bmm

bmm Member

Problem is there are very few jobs out there in any industry. Even government is starting to institute 5 to 6 percent pay cuts in some states.

Only thing we can really do is ride this out the best we can and see which industry recovers the best and try to jump to it.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

To be fair: I don't love the business. I just haven't found the job outside journalism that seems like a step up.

And when I do, good bye, everybody.

My friends and family don't seem to understand. They always say "well, he's so good at what he does and really seems to enjoy it."

I just shake my head and say, "you have no idea what it's like."

12. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

And with that said, it's sometimes easy for those of us still in the business to think we have it worse than anyone else.

I know I'm still blessed to have a job given the economy as a whole. Once something else comes along that pays as well or better, I'll pack up and walk away. It's been a good run, but sometimes you need to know when to cut your losses and get off the ship before you go down to the ocean floor with it.

Anyone who can report well with limited access and write on a tight deadline have marketable skills. One of the toughest things for me has been to show the discipline to take my lumps and wait for the right opportunity instead of just running away without any solid plan for the future.

Otherwise, I'd be just like the people running the industry I'm ready to leave.

Draft saved Draft deleted