1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The hits keep coming from Gannett in Indy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

From the website of the Indianapolis Newspaper Guild:

http://einkling.wordpress.com/2009/03/12/gannett-puts-15-pay-cut-on-the-table/

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So someone making $40K would see their pay cut to $34,000. That's great. I'm sure there won't be any increases in the health care right? Only Gannett could make Singleton look generous.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Geez ...

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

That's borderline criminal.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Supply, demand.

They've seen what most journalists are willing to put up with, and they know that for those of us who won't put up with it, there's two layoffees and three college kids waiting for a shot at our job.

6. silentbob

silentbob Member

Cut 15 percent of its total payroll or cut each person's salary by 15 percent?

7. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I wish RickStain wasn't so dead-on.

8. They are just stealing our money.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

OK, so make everyone take a 15 percent pay cut? :mad:

Instead of continuing to ask the people who put together the product to take the biggest cuts, how about ELIMINATING all bonuses to executives?

How about requiring them to take bigger cuts to their base pay since they're making A LOT more than the rest of us?

How about having realistic expectations when it comes to offering decent salaries/pay to your employees?

How about more responsible spending instead of buying up a bunch of newspapers and getting into incredible debt just because you can?

Sadly, those things should have taken place 10 years ago. I don't see it happening anytime soon. All of our days are numbered in this business.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It costs $300k to find a guy who says "Hey, if we lay off 10 reporters, we'll have $330k more profits!".

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Which Gannett paper will be the next to do this?

How many months until we have to rename this site formersportsjournalists.com?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't see why the union would agree to this - your option is not being able to make your monthly rent or mortgage, or not being able to make your monthly rent or mortgage while working your ass off.

Draft saved Draft deleted