1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The hired guns: Out in the open

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Nov 23, 2013.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This certainly could have gone on the college basketball thread, but I figured it was more general than that.

I like Andy Enfield, the new USC coach. He's from my hometown. But reading a profile on him today, I came across this passage:

My question is this.

Has the complete division of student and athlete gone so far that it's not even "wink-wink" anymore? Is it a sign of the elite to say you're glad to go get kids who you know will leave school after one year, obviously with no intention of, like, really learning something other than basketball?

I know I'm taking a simplistic view of it. I know that. But doesn't it strike any of the rest of you like a rather appalling concession?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The funny thing is - there have always been one and done college athletes - it's just that only recently has the player been able to make the decision instead of the coach.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a complete joke that American universities double as de facto minor leagues. That said, go Hoosiers.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Good thread for 1995.

The only teams that take one-and-dones are the ones that want to win. The rest still get get their panties bunched.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Like I said, I know it's a naive view of it.

Guess I just wish "student-athlete" still meant something.

6. Dick Whitman

It does. Just not in high-level men's basketball.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I totally agree with you. That's one reason I enjoyed covering the small colleges. The players knew they weren't going pro, so whatever sport they were playing wasn't the end-all of their lives. They were students, they practiced hard, they were involved in the university and community beyond sports. They would go out of their way to help you.

I really hate what the big-time college programs --- especially in basketball --- have become.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So do I.

Meanwhile ... the Yale-Harvard game is back on.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Alas, Yale is still trailing.

10. Dick Whitman

Ah, Yale-Harvard. Where all the players will go on to heal the world as investment bankers and hedge fund traders.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It does still mean something at the majority of schools. I attended a mid-major game Tuesday night and as we walked out we were talking about what year certain players were and then noted that the coach doesn't have to worry about any of them leaving early.

Most are still student-athletes. A few, though, are athlete-students.

Draft saved Draft deleted