1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "high" society is striking again.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jan 23, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110122/ap_on_re_us/us_dangerous_bath_salts

They've taken away original Sudafed, cough syrups and inhalers that I used to buy over the counter to knock out most ailments. Now they're taking away the stocking stuffers for all the women in my family at Christmas.

Seriously, what's going to happen when someone finds a way to get high off tap water?
    When does this shit end?

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

If you know anyone with a pain condition, ask them about their prescriptions and how hard it is to get them refilled. I know one person, who every single month, has to call the doctor and the pharmacy multiple times to get the same refill they have been getting for many years, because it is a watched/controlled type of medicine that junkies love to steal or buy illegally. This is not to mention the monthly urine tests to see if the patient is actually taking their pills (they have to make sure the patient is not reselling them instead). This is not to mention it makes doctors more hesitant to give patients what they need because of the atmosphere of distrust.

Why? Because if you're not in pain, their medicine gets you high. If you are in pain, it just makes you in somewhat less pain. It's a shame how much the junkies have inconvenienced and hurt those who really need the relief in order to hold a job, or even to get out of bed in the morning.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I saw a story the other day about junkies stealing embalming fluids out of funeral parlors to get high.

As Tommy Lee Jones said in "No Country for Old Men"... "Signs and wonders!"

4. I thought this was going to be about High Society the magazine.. So yes, I am disappointed.

I agree the whole thing is ridiculous, but it ain't going to change anytime soon. If California can't bring itself to legalize marijuana, we're fucked. And we'll have to continue to stand in line, show ID and explain that we need Zyrtec-D for allegeries and not to make meth. And of course you can only have 10.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Look. When we're this close to ending addiction in America forever, a little sacrifice is needed.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Just remember to be nice to your pharmacist.
    You should hear the stories my wife comes home with about junkies looking to get a fix.
    Equally as horrifying are the stories she comes home with about rude customers.

7. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I know it's not the fault of the pharmacist, but it's still frustrating to jump through so many hoops for Vicodin when I have two ruptured discs in my back pressing on my spinal cord.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about bath salts and using them to get high, but I damn near killed a guy who was high on them a few weeks ago. ... Someone else did kill him.

I was driving home for Christmas, on a major interstate going through a city. It was about midnight and I was about 90 minutes from the end of my 11 hour drive. I saw a van on the side of the road and saw some glass broken in the highway, so I switched to the other lane. Then when I drove past, I saw what I thought was a person laying in the middle of the right lane. I wasn't sure ... it could have been a roll of carpet, I thought. No one was out of the van yet. A semi was pulled over 100 yards up the road and no one was out of that either. I slowed down and the three cars behind me zoomed around me like I was standing still, so I thought maybe I was crazy.

I wasn't. Turns out, some kid had jumped from the ditch in front of that van. It had to have happened only seconds before I drove by. Had I not changed lanes, I'd have run over him and never known that he was going to die anyway. Had I been 15 seconds earlier, I'd have hit him myself. Anyway, they found those bath salts on him and figured he was high or something.

It didn't turn out to be that big of a deal for me, but man, how much would it have sucked to have been the couple in the van? I saw on the news the next day they were headed somewhere for Christmas, too. Killing some whacked out teenager: what a way to have your holiday ruined.

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Wow, talk about taking a discussion and making it real. I'm glad you weren't the one who hit him -- even though it's no one's fault when someone high as a kite jumps in front of a car, it could be psychologically devastating, I'm sure.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

The fact is, your pharmacist should be able to discern a pattern from your purchase record and prescription history to make your customer experience a little more pleasant. Life long allergy/asthma patient? Should be a hint somewhere. Kid diagnosed with ADD? Once a month Ritalin, yep, no questions asked and thank you for shopping with us.

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

In my home state, pharmacies are guarded by armed security all day. At night, they're locked up as tightly as Fort Knox. Addictions to prescription drugs, methamphetamines and crystal meth are among the most common crimes statewide. People who get those drugs for legitimate reasons sell them because they can make so much money off of them. Doctors have been arrested for writing illegitimate prescriptions for patients, friends and family members.

Sorry you have to spend an extra ten minutes at the pharmacist every month. But pharmacies are ill-equipped to judge who's getting the drug legitimately and who isn't, and they're ill-equipped to judge if the person who *is* getting it legitimately is using it for legitimate purposes. That's why they're monitored and reported to people who can monitor it.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

That's bullshit. They have your prescription and medical history available.

Draft saved Draft deleted