1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The (Henderson, N.C.) Daily Dispatch, Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Daily Dispatch, a 8,000-circulation six-day publication near the Raleigh-Durham- Chapel Hill Triangle, is accepting applications for a sports editor. Our two-man department covers an array of varsity sports at eight area high schools; five public and three private. Our market's prep programs have sent numerous players to Division 1 colleges and to the pros in football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, volleyball and golf. Local sports are the top priority, but off-day perks include easy access to ACC games at Carolina, Duke and N.C. State, close proximity to the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes, and minor league baseball played by the Durham Bulls and Carolina Mudcats. We seek a candidate with experience and demonstrated excellence in sports reporting and page design. A bachelor's degree or greater in journalism, communications, English or a related field is preferred. We have transitioned from Quark to InDesign, so proven aptitude with the latter is a major plus. Send resume, cover letter, clips and references to: Glenn Craven, editor; The Daily Dispatch; P.O. Box 908; Henderson, NC 27536. Application packages also can be faxed to (252) 430-0125, and
    e-mailed applications can be sent to gcraven@hendersondispatch.com.

This is a Paxton paper, so be warned. And it's yet another ad touting all the college and pro sports you would supposedly get to cover. On your own time, I'm sure.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Off-day, as in one off day since it's a six-day. I'm gonna guess this is a one-man staff. Road to burnout begins here.

3. Tarheel316

Wicked, it's actually a two-man staff. Same situation with my shop where I'm the SE. Burnout is still very possible if you're not careful. I make time for myself even though people in my coverage area wished I worked 24/7. About the only thing I do extra is cover the Carolina Panthers. But that to me is a perk.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Touche, Tarheel. Still, that'll put a hurting on anyone...eight high schools for such a small staff.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'll issue the standard three words of caution: Paxton Media Group. Tarheel mentioned it, but it bears repeating. Be careful here.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Positive: Glenn Craven is a good man. He's pretty aware of his situation, and the hand that his SE is dealt.

Negatives: Paxton, Paxton, Paxton. Newsroom building is old and rundown. The college and pro opportunities are on your time, your dime ... though at least they're upfront about that.

7. This is the second Paxton paper in NC to post an SE opening. I have friends at the big Paxton paper in Durham. Is something going on?

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Randy Capps has moved on to Fayetteville, so I think it's just coincidence.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Off day perk? Perhaps I'm misreading the ad, but If they're expecting me to cover the research triangle schools, then they should pay me for it. And that goes for you, too, whoever you are that takes this job. Don't burn your off days going to UNC or NCSU to do stories there. Maybe you'll get some decent clips from it, but on the whole it will not be worth it.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Some would disagree. But that's the prevailing attitude ... that the Triangle ACC schools and Whalercanes can be dangled.

Worse, I seriously doubt they get stories from Durham in time to run them in Henderson.

11. Tarheel316

novelist, this ad is typical. They try to entice people by saying you can cover major college and pro sports. But for that gig, you'll be so busy doing preps you won't want to cover UNC and Duke on your spare time. I am in a similar situation and I value my days off. I cover the NFL because it's fun and it's only eight times a year. I could cover as many UNC and Duke games as I want but I've got AP for that. That's how the Paxtons see it with their papers.

12. Plus, if you used a credential obtained through the newspaper, Paxton would probably require you to file a story or they wouldn't let you attend. Even though your time might be better served to gather material for a longform feature or column later.

Draft saved Draft deleted