1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Help" didn't help: Church in Jackson, Miss., refuses to marry black couple

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 29, 2012.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

One of my Soldiers, who's black, recently married a lilly white girl who comes from some serious old Southern money.

Rahkeem is one of the biggest and blackest dudes I've ever met. But they were married in a church in Franklin, Tennessee, an extremely affluent Nashville suburb. To be fair, I can only imagine what was going through the minds of all the old folks in attendance.

Times, they're still a changin'.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd wager that was exactly the case. But the pastor needs the stones to stand up to them.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In all the churches in which I've been a member, there is a deliberate effort to ensure that the pastoral staff can't be certain who the big donors are. This is intended to avoid just such a possibility.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

If you had a choice of color
    Which one would you choose my brothers
    If there was no day or night
    Which would you prefer to be right
    -Curtis Mayfield

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can understand where this church is coming from.

After all, the Bible expressly says that Black folk shant be married in White folks church or something, right?

The Southern Baptist Convention should pull this church's charter or whatever it is the Baptists do to punish churches going rogue.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the way the SBC works. Each church is an entity unto itself. The SBC could disassociate with this church, I guess, but I suspect that's about it.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Precisely. They can be kicked out of the convention (now led by an African American pastor) and its state and local counterparts. But the only way a pastor can be fired is by a vote of the congregation.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Also, the convention has no say in what happens to the name, building or property. It's basically the Best Western of religion.

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Will the small group pay for the ensuing ACLU lawsuit?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do the parishioners at least get a free continental breakfast?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't see any grounds on which the ACLU could sue. And I don't think the ACLU would sue, because they're pretty supportive of the exercise of religion.

All you can do is point out what asshats these people are, and continue to point that out for anyone who's a member. This should be a deal-breaker for continued membership at the church for anyone with a conscience.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Re: "The Help" didn't help: Church in Jackson, Miss., refuses to marry black cou

Was this a Baptist church or a Methodist church?

FWIW, I went to a funeral of a young black girl who worked for us after she was killed in a car crash. The funeral was in Jackson at a very multi-racial Methodist church. As I recall, the pastor was white, but the music director was black (or maybe it was vice versa; it's been a few years).

The Southern Baptist church I occasionally attend has probably a half-dozen black families and a couple of bi-racial couples, including one where the husband is white. Point being, we're not all racist knuckle-draggers down here.

Draft saved Draft deleted