1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Help" didn't help: Church in Jackson, Miss., refuses to marry black couple

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 29, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20120728/NEWS/207280337/Miss-church-closes-door-black-couple-s-wedding

All was well until the couple did the rehearsal two days before the wedding and some of the old guard saw what was happening and complained to the pastor. It is 2012, right?

But I guess we know what became of Two Slice Hilly.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does the congregation like Chick-Fil-A?

3. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Typical liberals, preaching "tolerance" until its a church standing up for its values.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's an awful story. What in the heck was that pastor thinking?

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Sounds like it was a small group in the church and that the pastor has no spine. Most of the congregation sounds ashamed this happened.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does the small group provide most of the budget?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That small group that protested are just worried their marriages will be diminished.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

another article I saw on this hinted at the couple fearing the possibility of their membership being revoked so they didn't want to press the issue. Why not revoke the membership of the five or six who pushed for them not to be married there?

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

10. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Unfortunately, many rural churches in the south have no interest in truly being Christians. It's a social club that has a marginally religious feel to it.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mississippi really has made great strides on racial issues.
    And then I read something like this, and I just want to slap my forehead. How, in 2012, can anyone -- even in small-town Mississippi -- think this is acceptable. Just shameful.

Oh, and since nit-picking is part of what we do around here, the thread title is a bit off. The church is in Crystal Springs, which is about 25 miles south of Jackson. It's not even a suburb. It's its own small town.

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Maybe the shit-pie eater is kin to the preacher.

Draft saved Draft deleted