1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hella Good Exception

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Mar 26, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bubs, We're fairly close in age, and I believe we have similar sensibilities about some things... and I discovered No Doubt a few years ago (after I had already tuned out terrestrial pop, too), because of the spawn-of-Satan woman I was with--who broke my heart into a thousand pieces (you get the idea)--whose musical sensibilities used to drive me up a wall. (She actually made me download and listen to such songs as "A Puro Dolor," by Son by Four, "If You're Not the One," by Daniel Bedingfield and a host of other similar three-minute torture sessions of drivel.

One day she had me listen to "Underneath It All," by No Doubt. And I don't know what it was about that song, but it hooked me. Satan (the woman I am talking about) loved to dance. I can't dance, even if you spot me the white man's overbite, but she could even get me moving to that song (and she really could move), and for a week, I couldn't get it out of my head. I was listening to it over and over again. It caused me to download a bunch of other No Doubt songs and *gasp* I loved them (I have MAJOR thing for Gwen Stefani anyhow). I think I was hooked for good when I heard No Doubt's remake of "It's My Life." Now, I know there has been a lot of debate about this. The original Talk Talk version may be the most perfect song of my generation. I love it. And normally, when someone tries to mess with perfection--a movie remake that has no business being done, for example--I am the first in line throwing rotten fruit. But something about Gwen Stefani singing Talk Talk REALLY, REALLY (I have I mentioned "really"?) does it for me. I have had this discussion with a bunch of friends who hate the remake, so I don't expect anyone to understand. But I could listen to that remake (as well as the original) all day long. The remake has a bit of a more upbeat feel.

As an aside, of all the songs Satan made me listen to and download, the funniest one may have been R. Kelly's Ignition Remix. This is how whipped I was... I can't say I actually liked it, and every time I listened to it, I couldn't help but think of R. Kelly, a minor and a colostomy bag, but I associated the song with the hottest woman (apparently Satan can disguise himself and make himself look like a hot woman) on earth, and her singing the words "toot toot," with her cute little accent (which I have come to learn was really Satan's voice disguised as a Siren's song) that I couldn't describe if I tried. So I kept the song on my iPod, and knew it just wasn't working one day when I was on the subway, it came on randomly, I turned up the volume and it was loud enough so it was leaking from my headphones. When I got to the "toot toot" and "beep beep," I was moving around like only a white man with no sense of rhythm can gyrate, and these black high school kids (harmless, but doing their best to look like gangbangers) took one look at me and burst out laughing. I knew it was time to purge that song from my iPod. Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to purge the relationship. But the one good thing she left me with was No Doubt, and in my case--as in yours--that is nothing to apologize for.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ignition (remix) is the greatest song R. Kelly ever released. Ever.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

This is an outstanding example of The Hella Good Exception. Bravo.

4. It's been too long since we've had a dispatch from The Life of Bubbler.

5. imjustagirl

Wasn't my point, Barsuk, but if it works for you...

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm a No Doubt / Stefani fan (and a fan of general "techno," too, but more of the house and D&B genres) and "Hella Good" was, well, meh.

But I do like "Spiderweb" and "Hollaback Girl."

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ignition isn't the only good song R. Kelly's ever done. Down Low, anyone?

8. imjustagirl

I said best. Not only good.

Down Low was fine, but made INFINITELY better by the video. His first two CDs were stunningly good, then he lost me for a bit, I liked a few songs here and there, and the only song I've liked since all his legal problems was Ignition (remix).

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This very well might be true, but as most people who know me will attest to, I have no business ever dancing like I am in the throes of an epileptic seizure while singing the words, "So baby gimme dat 'toot toot'... and lemme give ya that 'beep beep'...runnin' her hands through my fro'...bouncin' on twenty fo's..."

I actually liked the song. It's why I kept it, unlike, most of the crud she hit me with (she liked anything poppish that had bad syrupy lyrics, which she would inevitably attach some sort of poetic meaning to). Our common ground was old R&B... Anything from Marvin Gaye to Otis Redding to Al Green to Etta James, and we were OK. It should have amazed me that a woman with such shyte taste in music could appreciate that stuff... she was really keen to stuff her parents listened to when she was growing up, though.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Agreed that R. Kelly had a lot of good early music. I find some of Akon's music to be very similar to early R. Kelly.

Also, I liked No Doubt but absolutely cannot stand anything Stefani does as a solo artist, which is the same way I feel about the Black Eyed Peas and Fergie.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

"Lip Gloss" by Lil Mama

12. imjustagirl

Um...what else has she ever released? She has like one album.

(and her remixes with Rihanna and Avril Lavigne are oodles hotter than the originals)

Draft saved Draft deleted