1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Heat is on....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 25, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Thankfully, my hood didn't lose power. Nasty, nasty storm, though.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Optimistically hoping for around noon today ... my friend works over at one of the hospitals as a repair tech and they're telling him the second hospital is supposed to be back up at that time and that we're likely on the same grid since we're only a mile away.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

aw...July in Kansas.

100, 100, 100, 100, 101 next 5 days. Halfway tolerable as long as the wind doesn't get to the point where it feels like you are standing in front of a hairdryer.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Possibility I get power back at my house sometime soon. It's been about 60 hours. Not unmanageable. But not fun when it's been as hot and humid as it's been. Been a crazy few days around here for sure.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's been halfway tolerable here. High yesterday was 94 with showers in the area. Forecast high today is 95 but it won't make it with clouds all day.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My wife's family keeps texting her to see if we're OK with the power outage. She texted back to look at a map to see where we actually live, which is three hours away from Baltimore.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Still no power ... just cleaned out the fridge and freezer and dumped everything except six Miller High Lifes (which are half skunky to begin) with and some non-dairy coffee creamer. Sigh.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Heard 25 people died in the storms. They had hurricane force winds with.
    Out the advanced warnings. We lost power for 10 days due to the October ice storm. Try to stay cool. (how hard was Va Beach/Chesapeake hit?).

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The 11-day streak of 100+ was broken today for us. Still no rain. Fireworks shows in the smaller towns have been scuttled. The city still plans to do its fireworks show, but only because it is held at a park along the river and they are launched from a barge anchored away from land.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's raining in my city for the first time since 1903!

We're in the worst drought since 1988. Fireworks everywhere in my area have been cancelled.

My (least) favorite thing is the hillbillies having a fit because of the fireworks ban.

"But I want to blow shit up!"

Idiots.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I know your pain headbutt. Every street around me has power. Not mine. I don't get it. Really starting to get spiteful. At least I have a couch to sleep on tonight at a friends rather than sleeping on the newsroom floor.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Slept on my basement floor last night. It was cool down there, though the comforter provided only a little padding for that floor. An hour before I had to wake up, the power came on again. 75 hours. Grrrr.

Draft saved Draft deleted