1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Heat is on....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 25, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Crazy. Be safe everyone. Lots of damage at Congressional where the PGA Tour is this week and they're playing the third round without fans and volunteers.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm out of town, but it seems like just about all my friends have no power. A friend who lives in Alexandria had to book a hotel room in Baltimore or near BWI because there was nothing else available. Sounds bad.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Hadn't clicked on this thread until now; I truly thought it was about basketball. Why the capital "H"?

I'm a Florida native but am quite toasty an hour south of the Canadian border, where it's been in the mid-90s.

My little RV swayed in the storms last night and then got smacked by some hail this morning but now it's back to 81 and sunny. I can deal with this.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

To make people think it's about the Miami Heat?

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Those storms that ripped through last night were a godsend, in one sense: The temp dropped from 101 degrees at 6:01 p.m. to 81 degrees at 6:22 p.m., and stayed cooler the rest of the night. If not for the outages, would have been hailed as a miracle.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My apartment is 91 degrees. I'm sleeping on the floor in the newsroom. At least we have power and ac there. The cat actually seems chipper. Just replaced his water, which had gotten pretty hot. He was playful when I checked on him, so that's a positive sign.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Cats self-cool by licking their coats. They groom more in warmer weather for this purpose.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Derecho. What an ugly word. Ugly ass storm. I saw some crazy shit. Tree trunks on top of houses. A house where one woman was killed when a tree plowed through into her bedroom.

The lightning that night was amazing. Like a strobe light show, really. So bright and so continuous, you'd have thought you were at a rave. No power at my house for nearly 36 hours now. Could be a few more days. No power in the newsroom either, but that isn't stopping us from doing an awesome job covering all this. This was like a hurricane with no warning, and all the force packed into about a half hour or hour. More than a million without power at one point. Still nearly a million this morning. People are lined up outside a Starbucks to charge their phones and computers right now, in fact.

Derecho.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I am a Pepco guy. Normally my neighborhood is pretty good, though. But this whole region where I am, save for a block or two, is still struggling. So I'm cranking out stories on it before I get a start on the rest of my day. Eventually I'll end up at my parent's house (BG&E customers, but also out, at least as of last night) where we'll grill some stuff I'm sure.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Now hearing we may be without power until next weekend. My house, I believe, is on the same power grid as the city's second hospital, and they're doing everything possible to get that hospital back and running. Getting a little antsy, but feeling blessed because at least the newsroom has power/internet, etc. and I have a place to squat until everything works itself out.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I just called my apt building and we have power, so I'm heading home later tonight. It's unclear if I will have TV/internet and my friends report that phone service (landline and cell) is spotty. I'm assuming I lost the chair out on my balcony. Just hoping it didn't blow through one of my windows. Most of my friends are still without power. With all the intersections without functioning signals, rush hour in the morning should be fun.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Still no power. The stadium has power, and I've got a doubleheader to cover tonight. Will probably just head over there and spent most of the day there, since they have AC and internet.

Draft saved Draft deleted