1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Heat is on....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

My son is pitching in a travel baseball game today at 6. I told him last night that I wanted him to drink water all day -- drink til you piss, then keep drinking.

Heat advisory in effect til 8 tonight. Temps expected to hit 104.

Absolutely brutal in Central Va. Fortunately we're headed for OBX tonight.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Think cool folks ... At the Vostok station in Antarctica at 11,000 feet, it's supposed to be -99 with a wind chill of -128 tonight.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

101.1 degrees outside, feels like 112. Off to the gym I go. AC better not be broken there!

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If he's getting outside, sweating and peeing he should be fine, but be careful about the water. You actually can get water poisoning if you drink too much (more than a quart or two per hour).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/Hyponatremia.htm

5. Hokie_pokie

Coworker just checked and it's 108 at Dinwiddie (Va.) airport. That's temp -- not heat index.

All-time Virginia record is 111.

6. Hokie_pokie

Thanks for the info, but no worries ... I'm in the office today and he isn't listening to me about it anyhow.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

78 here, but our gas costs more.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I tried to book a room at the Holiday Inn there.

9. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

It won't get to 100, but with the 'heat index' it will feel like 100. We suffer here too! Please pay attention to us!

(We sit through 6 months of winter here, and everyone gripes when it's finally nice outside.)

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A morning round of golf in Florida today was downright pleasant compared to most others here, but we'll get ours soon enough.

Hottest I've ever been though was on a summer trip to Wisconsin a decade ago.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The heat spawned a nasty storm here last night. 75 mph winds. Trees down everywhere. Power out for 60 percent of APCO customers in Va/WV, including myself. No AC. 102 expected again today. I'm honestly worried about my cat, which I just took in on Monday. I suppose all I can do is give him tons of water and keep him in the shade. Gonna be a shitty day.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

He seems to be OK. Draped some blankets over the two windows that bring in most of the afternoon heat so hopefully that will help. Will open the windows again this evening after sundown. Va. Gov. declared a statewide state of emergency.

Draft saved Draft deleted