1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Heat is on....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 25, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

In the newer ones it's more common. The older homes around downtown that have been converted to condos (like mine) rely on wall units.

Of the past nine days, six have set a record high (one was 2 degrees short), with five of them 100 or hotter. If it reaches 100-plus tomorrow, it would be five straight days of 100-plus, something that's only been recorded two other times in 130-plus years.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And it's now hit 105 -- matching the all-time record for any date (also set in July 20, 2005, and Aug. 8, 1878).

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Generally, Oregon summers begin after July 4 and continue until Pac-12 league games start.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ugh - don't remind me. Cue the standard shot of kids running around the same damn fountain anytime - and every time - it gets above 80.
    Oh - and breaking news, kids are out of school - and here are some fireworks safety tips and what to do with your animals around the 4th of July.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I don't think I have a blade of live grass in my yard right now.

But the weeds? The fact that we've gotten .000000001 inches of rain in the last two months hasn't really affected them one bit.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The thermometer on my porch said 99º when I left for work, which means the actual air temperature was probably 105º.

After last summer, 105º is just hot to me. Last year was a special kind of hell.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

up to 110 here today.

Eureka.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A former ME of mine insisted on standalones of some kids playing in water every time it got hot.

Luckily, I live in a place where the normal high tops out at 84.

10. GermanKeyser

GermanKeyser Member

We're looking at 104 today in south Texas. My car's AC is out, so I'm thinking it might be better (and cooler) to ride my bike to and from the office. It's either that or stick my head out my car's window to catch a breeze.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not looking good in Colorado Springs. That's the Air Force Academy football stadium in the foreground.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/555919_486413028039876_1284876381_n.jpg

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

9:38 a.m. in Central Va., and the heat index is 97. Forecast temperature is 106. Seems like a good day to stay inside and watch movies. And spare me the "it's summer, it's supposed to be hot," bullshit. It's not supposed to be this hot. I can deal with the mid-90s. Mid-100s in this neck of the woods, with the humidity we get, it's dangerous and completely out of the realm of the norm.

Draft saved Draft deleted