1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The healing power sports"...from the onion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Eagles1 in London, Jun 28, 2007.

1. http://www.theonion.com/content/news/sports_unable_to_heal_small_town

posted this because i always get sick of hearing about the so called healing power of sports (plus the article takes shots at Lupica and Paige)

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I could so work for the Onion!

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That was awesome. I'll bet Lupica sat there and laughed really hard making it look like it didn't bother him. All the time, he was whining inside and fired off a nasty email to he Onion.

Now I'll never think of the healing powers of sports the same way again.

4. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Make me your first hire, please.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

And in real life, Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer checks in.
    This is from the USA Today and, sadly, not The Onion
    You mean for a memorial, or do you mean to watch your football team play?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"Kids want discipline; they want to be in a structured environment. Football is one of the last things out there that gives you that. What about that 15 or 16-year-old kid sitting in Kansas or New Mexico or Connecticut who watches this show after doing doses of meth or smoking pot or drinking and they see something good and this changes their life forever? I want to be part of that.

"To me, if this can be a positive twist and we turn one or two kids' lives around because of it, it's worth every penny. Maybe a kid will see this and decide he misses the game and say 'I can't believe I'm not playing football.' If you put this on the Christian network, how many lives would you save?"

Rush Propst

7. The Onion piece is funny, and it speaks to a truth, but if people seriously think there is no healing power in sports, try to imagine this country since 9/11 without any sports, theater, ballet, movies, art, fishing, hiking or whatever you do for rest and relaxation. People take it to ridiculous extremes, but there is a healing power in sports and all other leisure activity. It's equally ridiculous to deny that. For some people, attending that game will help heal some -- not all -- wounds. For others, it will just be a football game. One group doesn't have to criticize the other for being different.

People cried during pregame ceremonies and the national anthem before LSU's first home football game after Katrina, just across the street from where hurricane victims had been dying in the basketball arena that was turned into an emergency hospital. It doesn't make someone a bad person if that night wasn't a healing experience, and yes people can take the football-as-medicine talk too far, but it's faulty to suggest there's no healing value in sports.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. There is healing power in sports -- or many other large gatherings.
    Does it work every time? Is every sporting event after a tragedy healing? Is it a universal salve?
    No.

9. I agree. And by the way, you just happened to post moments before I did. I wasn't directing my post at you or anybody else on here.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't fret it.. didn't take it as a shot...

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Let's talk about the healing power of Slap Boudreaux's Creole Seasoning.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Brilliant. The only thing it lacked was a reference to how the New York Yankees brought America back from 9/11 or how it was our patriotic duty to root for them as they tried to gut out a World Series win over those evil Arizona Diamondbacks.

Draft saved Draft deleted