1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The hateful crap female sports writers put up with

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I am not running for political office, but I approve of this message.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think Katie Nolan "paraded" anything. I understand her intent in the videos.

That said...she's wearing a tube top in one video and appearing to pour hot sauce on her rear end in another.

1. Female journalists would lose most if not all credibility for doing that.

2. The fact that Nolan is not a journalist is lost on people who apparently think she needs to be to have an opinion or have a show.

There is an argument to be made that journalism teaches a kind of objective and moderation in thought that Nolan doesn't have, but, in turn, our culture isn't clamoring for it, either. Our culture wants polarization.

Riptide and Lugnuts like this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I think maybe there's a larger point here, and that is attractive women can, or should be able to, accentuate that attractiveness without forfeiting any credibility in whatever field they're in.

Rachel Nichols, for example, should still be viewed as *Rachel Nichols, Serious Journalist* even if she shows up to work dressed like Ines Sainz.

Sainz, for that matter, should've been allowed to conduct whatever tangentially media-related business she had to conduct without being harassed.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If a guy looked like Fabio and hosted a show shirtless to flaunt his attractiveness, what kind of reaction do you think he'd get? Jesus, the guys on SportsCenter basically wear boring uniforms, they're not in in muscle shirts or whatever. Deion Sanders dressing in bright colors or wearing a peacock hat, that makes a lot of people pre-judge what they're going to say before they even say it. If you want people to focus on what you're going to say, then you're undermining yourself by appealing too strongly via physical attraction/distraction.

5. MisterCreosote

Right. That was my roundabout, semi-polite way of saying our society should have fewer superficial douchebags.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

So Nolan should wear what you think she should wear in order for you to respect her as more than a set of tits?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This take is a little Pollyannish and twee for my taste. I know women who think Jesse Palmer's kinda lame for his two-sizes-too-small button-up shirts. People have opinions. Trump's rise is proof that a large swath of Americans are plenty tired of being told what they can and can't think and say without being scolded by enlightened liberals.

You can't social engineer away people's thoughts that easily. Nichols would not be viewed as seriously if she dressed like Sainz and did photoshoots as Sainz has done. She just wouldn't. Hell, when Erin Andrews was violated by a pervert, none other than enlightened yakker Michelle Beadle not-so-subtly hinted that Andrews benefited from the violation. It's a shitty, despicable thing to say, and yet...a lot of people, including Michelle Beadle, super feminist, thought it.

Here's what I think to be true: If Nolan wore all black, head to toe, for the next year, revealing nothing, her show would be more interesting. Hell, people'd tune in just to see if anything changed. That's the kind of culture we're in now.

Lugnuts likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Not what I said, but keep reading into it.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How's the popcorn, Katie?

10. MisterCreosote

I'm copyrighting "Twee Take."

Lugnuts and Songbird like this.
  11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It really is amazing and sad that a thread on the disgusting treatment of female sports journalists and personalities turned into this. I'm sorry I contributed to this sideshow.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Depends what "this" is. What is disgusting?

Draft saved Draft deleted