1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The hateful crap female sports writers put up with

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, Apr 26, 2016.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Not to work Vombatus's corner here, but there are lots of places I can go (and do) on the internet that will show me attractive women wearing far less clothing than anything on your image search results. None of those women are talking about sports.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Women like Katie are, and always will be, fucked, no matter what.

Is she just a vacuous whore here, or someone with shine and an active mind who likes being in front of the camera?

Can she ever be respected -- seriously -- for talking double play combos and why judging pitchers for wins is stupid?

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The other point we're missing here is that lots of male sportswriters have large breasts.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mine might be closer to Katie's size, maybe smaller.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Whitlock definitely got his start by parading them around.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Merely said that ... LOL

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It's not just female sports media personalities who deal with this.

It's also women in technology. Women who are CEOs. Women who are politicians. Women who are in any position to be critiqued by society at large. And it doesn't happen to men to the same level that it happens to women.

For some reason, there's a level of publicly stated misogyny that still is considered socially acceptable.

Twitter isn't the problem. These dudes would say this shit at a bar to their buddies and not think twice about it. Or yell it from the stands toward where she's sitting on press row. Twitter just gives them a louder megaphone.

It needs to stop.

HanSenSE and HC like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

My thoughts:

1. It's too bad somebody dragged that quote about Nolan over to this thread. It didn't need any more play than it already had.

2. Nolan's success, like the success of many on TV, is ultimately complex, right? No, she's not at FS1 because of her looks. Not really. But...she has a good smile and pretty eyes. She does not have facial disfigurements. She's "in shape." Those things help. But does she have the platform she does because of those things? No. Because there are many, many women out there who have a good smile, pretty eyes and are in shape.

3. Nolan is there because of her personality and all that entails. She's funny, informed, personable, kind of a big city smart mouth, subversive, she tries too hard, and, ultimately, is likable because of all those things. And if we want to say she's been clever about her sex appeal, I can appreciate that, but what we appreciate is her cleverness, not her mammaries. We tend to like clever, sharp people in a TV talk format, especially when they're young and taking shots at the establishment. That appeal wears off at some point, and the real test of a person's talent -- just like it would be in anything -- is their staying power in the industry, and whether their role grows as time goes on.

4. For Nolan, I could see her being wise to her appeal fitting into a vidcast/talk show format, a kind of sports "Daily Show" approach, that suits her style. Let's remember: Jon Stewart = mediocre comedian and actor before The Daily Show. And now he's Jon Stewart, liberal sage. Hopefully, Nolan is wise to that and has the stamina/work ethic for it. She's smart enough for it.

5. I don't really think of her as a journalist, and maybe the shift in how we see current events/sports talk accounts for some of the critiques against her. (I didn't see Stewart as a journalist, either, whereas, as ugh as he may be, Bill O'Reilly is a journalist.) Nolan is not Rachel Nichols, Jeremy Schapp, Shelley Smith, Scott Van Pelt, Bill Simmons, Samantha Ponder or Erin Andrews. Those are journalists, trained as such - including Andrews, who's spun off into other things but still had to, for years, do every mundane piece of prep imaginable and ultimately report facts no one else had. Nolan's not that, although, if that's what she wanted to do, she could be. It's not hard to be one of those.

6. That said, shifting from "I'm plucky and talented and brave, and I'm gonna make it" to "OK, I've made it, and when I'm 40, me being plucky, talented and brave will be a 15-year-old look and will not endear anyone to me, so I'd better build my career for some longevity" isn't easy. I hope Nolan does. She's as deserving as anyone.

Tweener, Ace and TyWebb like this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have been stupid, I am sure that comes as no surprise.

HC likes this.
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This discussion belongs here more than it belongs on a thread about that twit Bayless.

It was a perfect example of "hateful crap" that women in our business put up with constantly.

I agree with everything else you said.

Jon Stewart is a really good parallel. I'm really glad he got his shit together after parading his dick around to get noticed.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Sure ... but your funny and do wicked accents. That buys you a lot of good will. ;)

Fly likes this.
  12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'd just like to pause to reflect on the fact that someone did a Yahoo Images search. I don't really know how to process this information.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted