1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hartford Courant has enough $$$ to pay Auriemma's kid to BLOG about his team

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Sep 10, 2009.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Re: The Hartford Courant has enough $$$ to pay Auriemma's kid to BLOG about his

My first reaction is why is this surprising to anyone now that Tribune Co. had handed the operation over to Rich Graziano, who, if you'll remember, is already hip-deep in shit with his involvement with the drunk driving case (twice in the same night!) of one of his female top assistants at the television station he also runs for Tribune Co. in Hartford?

Here's some interesting takes on the latest incident from the Courant Alumni site and former Courant humor columnist Colin McEnroe:

http://www.courantalumni.org/

http://blogs.courant.com/colin_mcenroe_to_wit/2009/09/it-may-surprise-some-of.html

Finally, I kind of feel bad for Altavilla, although he should have known better. I've known him a long time, back to the days he was at the New Haven Register and he's a good guy.

My gut feeling is that there's a lot of pressure on staff to become Web friendly and a lot of editors content platform managers running around telling people they need to think outside boxes and shift paradigms.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If you're going to be journalists, avoid things like this.

If you want to be content-providing entertainment platforms with diminished integrity, dive in with both feet and hire politicians, coaches, family members, print PR releases straight from the grist mill and become what you have reviled or resisted.

Paying $125 for a blog post? That's more than some newspapers pay experienced freelancers for stories in the print edition.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

To be fair, more people in Connecticut would likely be interested in reading the insights in Auriemma's kid's blog post than the stuff the typical stringer sent in about Bulkeley High School's junior varsity team.

But you're right about the Courant only being interested in being a profitable content platform. It's been that way for a while now.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If that's what the people in Hartford want to read, then UConn should eliminate the middleman and put the kid's maunderings on its athletic department's Web site.
    Also, if that's what the people in Hartford want to read, it confirms my opinion of the place.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

That's what I have been confused about. Why doesn't UConn have her write a blog entry at its athletics site now that they know there is a demand for it?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe state nepotism laws prohibit UConn from hiring her.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That's the problem, though.

Lines have been blurred, and standards lowered, so much, that we all are becoming one and the same things, with few, if any, differences between Scout/Rival blogs, and newspaper ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted