1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Harris Media Services advisory board

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Mar 29, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In the time it took you to mention the laptop you bought and find the link, it's become obsolete.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Moddy,

I've been on Vista for about 6 months now and I'm absolutely fine with it. The complaints are badly overblown. If you're getting a new computer with a decent amount of memory you should be fine with Vista. Really, there's no reason to insist on XP.

The only real downsides I've encountered are the "are you sure you want to do that?" pop-ups, which are a minor annoyance, and the fact that it's trickier to set up a network on Vista than it is on XP. If you haven't booted your home computer in 9 years, I'm guessing networking isn't real high on your priority list.

Unless you intend to deal heavily in graphics I just don't see that Macs are worth the price difference, which is substantial.

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Buy a Mac. Then buy the student-teacher edition of Microsoft Office. I got mine with my iBook three years ago for $99, and you get three installs (so check with friends to see if they'll let you borrow their copy. ::)) I've been using it for years, and it's fully functional. It even updates itself automatically, including a plugin that'll open docx files -- something that took my office IT folks months to deal with.

4. You can get the "old" MacBook, the one that came out right before these new ones, for $999.

Draft saved Draft deleted