1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hansons, Killer and Reg going south?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cyclingwriter, Feb 15, 2010.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Greensboro had a team at one point, right? The Monarchs? How long ago was that?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They could be in Altoona.

3. mb

mb Active Member

Honest to goodness, I flipped past it and the first words I heard were ...

What sucker would buy the Chiefs?

4. Greensboro Monarchs came into the ECHL in its second season of existance (1989-90) and lasted until 1995, when they joined the AHL. A second Greensboro team, the Generals, debuted in 1999 and lasted until 2004.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Altoona is Paris compared to Johnstown.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Chiefs are going to Greenville, S.C., which used to have the Grrrowl. They won the ECHL championship in 2002.

Greensboro, meanwhile, has a much more extensive hockey history. The original Generals were created in 1959 and played alongside Johnstown in the old Eastern League for many years. Of course, that's also where the Carolina Hurricanes first played after moving from Hartford.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Greenville had the ECHL All-Star Game in 2000 and I had a good time there, but I flexed my invisible editorial muscle by almost never calling them the Grrrowl. Three R's were ridiculous. In fact, when they first introduced the name, they wanted to be called the Grrreenville Grrrowl.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Rrridiculous.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

LLLOLLL.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I wonder how many Jack Robinsons live down there?

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

At one time the ECHL had a serious strategy of pushing into the South, with teams in places like Pensacola, Biloxi and Lafayette, La. (who were the Louisiana Ice Gators, har, har). I don't believe any of those teams have survived.

Draft saved Draft deleted