1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hansons, Killer and Reg going south?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cyclingwriter, Feb 15, 2010.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

And that is the flood that damaged the Johnstown arena, which led to the Jets' folding and ultimately the Chiefs taking their place.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yep, but in truth the Jets were in trouble anyway following a disastrous 1976-77 season, after which the entire North American Hockey League folded.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I just like that a league that called itself the East Coast Hockey League for some time has a team in Alaska.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I looked it up, and Johnstown has lost two-thirds of its population off its peak -- in 1920. It had 67,000 people. Now it has 21,000. The metro area has fewer people than it did in 1910.

And people talk about Detroit.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Instead of changing its name to reflect the change in its geography, it simply became the ECHL, which supposedly isn't an acronym and stands for nothing.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Better that than to jam a new meaning into the acronym. Extremely Cool Hockey League, anyone?

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Pretty sure they addressed that, and the franchises in Bakersfield and Ontario, CA, by just calling it the ECHL officially.

8. OwnSSSS! OwnSSSS! ;D

Well, Dicky Dunn wrote this. It MUST be true. I guess there really is a ... community in a Southern state (actually, it's South Carolina) looking for a cheap deal on a team.

Still sad to see one of the ECHL's original members leaving its original town.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They live in Johnstown Freakin Pennsylvania. How much worse can things get?

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's the last original franchise still in its original location.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Also true...
    Anyone heard if they plan to keep the "Chiefs" name? It makes sense to keep it, but it would also be kind of silly to keep it in a new city.

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Versus Network is showing "Slap Shot" right now. Please forgive me if this is a DB.

Draft saved Draft deleted