1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Hangover

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by maberger, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would argue that Step Brothers is Ferrell's funniest movie since Old School.

There are a lot of comedies that are really funny, but they go to shit in the final act. Wedding Crashers, Old School (to a lesser extent), Knocked Up...

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I knew the movie would be a riot when, in the first two minutes, Jeffrey Tambor quips the line about herpes in Vegas.

Funny stuff, and great Vegas eye candy too.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Didn't you guys ever seen Rain Main?

He was a ratard.

A what?

A ratard.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I never have. That being the thought.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i agreed upon first viewing of "anchorman." but it was one of those comedies that got more hysterically funny with each subsequent viewing.

just curious, mizzo: did you see it more than once? or did you never give it a second chance?

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Road Trip was OK. I laughed. I bought it. But it's one of those movies I kind of feel sheepish about owning, if that makes any sense.

There's no universe in which it was better than Old School.

7. BRoth

BRoth Member

Looking back on it, Galifianakis was simply amazing. It really felt like at least half his lines were improvised. He's that funny.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That's a weird thing about a lot of Will Ferrell movies. It takes several viewings to truly appreciate them. There are lines I missed the first time, some of which I didn't catch until the sixth viewing. Even now, I might catch a line or a gesture I had missed.

And if my friends are quoting movie lines, like the idiots we are, there's a good chance they are probably coming from Anchorman.

"I immediately regret this decision."
    "Don't act like you're not impressed."
    "(Insert whatever here) was a baaaaad choice."
    "Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee."
    "This burrito is good, but it is filling."
    "You know I don't speak Spanish!"
    "Well .... when in Rome."

Which is funny, because I didn't really leave the theatre the first time giving that movie a second thought.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Dude made the film. Also, Heather Graham is 39 and still gets it done.

A minor quibble was the absurd Chinaman subplot. It just sort of derailed the chemistry between the guys. As funny as the film was, I think it probably could have worked better if it centered on the actually bachelor party instead of doing a Dude Where's My Car.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I loved The Hangover. I might have actually rolled on the floor if I'd never seen a trailer and didn't know going in about the tiger, the tooth, the baby, Tyson, etc.
    My favorite recurring bit was Ed Helms' telephone descriptions of his "trip to the Napa Valley" for the girlfriend.
    The only loose end not tied up: What did Jeffrey Tambor do when he saw his poor Mercedes? Granted, they have enough money (in chips) to fix or replace it, but still ...

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I just saw it. As I mentioned on the last movies watched thread, it wasn't as funny as I was expecting, but it was good.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm with those who found Anchorman funnier on repeat viewings. First time I saw it, I was like meh. Then there was nothing on one night on HBO and I watched it and found it far, far funnier.

And Knocked Up was so out-of-this-world funny for the first two-thirds that I can forgive its sticky-sweet ending. Even that was awesome, with the kid from Undeclared barging in on the delivery and wishing he hadn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted