1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 'Hall of Pretty Good'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Here's the NHL's version (For many of the expansion teams it is predicted off of current or recent rosters)

Anaheim – Paul Kariya
    Atlanta – Marian Hossa
    Boston – Andy Moog
    Buffalo – Dale Hawerchuk
    Calgary – Theo Fleury
    Carolina/Hartford – Pat Verbeek
    Chicago – Steve Larmer
    Colorado – Adam Foote
    Columbus – RIck Nash
    Dallas – Neal Broten
    Detroit – Brendan Shanahan
    Edmonton – Doug Weight
    Florida – Scott Mellanby (a stretch even here, not many options though)
    LA – Bernie Nicholls
    Minnesota – Marian Gaborick
    Nashville – Cliff Ronning
    New Jersey – Scott Stevens
    Long Island – Brent Sutter
    New York Rangers – James Patrick
    Ottawa – Wade Redden
    Philly – Rick Tocchet
    Phoenix/Winnipeg – Randy Carlyle
    Pittsburgh – Scott Stevens
    San Jose – Owen Nolan
    St. Louis – Keith Tkachuck
    Tampa Bay – Brad Richards (Current)/Darren Puppa (past)
    Toronto – Felix Potvin
    Vancouver – Pavel Bure
    Washington – Rod Langway

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think Rick Martin is the perfect Buffalo Sabre for this thread. Pretty damn good, some outstanding yearsbut not quite HOF (I think, maybe he is in the HHOF). Danny Gare also qualifies, even though he did ruin his career by playing for the Red Wings.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Help me out here, Beef. You're saying that Shanahan and Stevens shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame? Both of them will blow the doors off the place.

And maybe you're saying that these other two shouldn't be in there, but Hawerchuk and Langway already are.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I assume you mean Kevin Stevens for the Penguins? He was a badass before he broke his face during the '93 playoffs. That was the beginning of the end of a great run by the flightless birds.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

His dad should be in the HHOF. Ralph Mellanby was the executive producer and backbone of CBC's Hockey Night In Canada telecasts for more than 20 years.

As for Scott, he's had a long and distinguished career. Hopefully Atlanta will deal him to the Leafs at the trade deadline so he can finally win a Cup after 21 seasons. :)

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I hate to steal someone else's material, but you, sir, are now dead to me.

As far as I'm concerned, there should be a special "Dale Murphy Room" in the HoF. Anyone who was a Braves during the Murph era will agree.

Those were some hard times. And Dale Murphy, with his crazy mole, is all we had. The guy carried thousands of fans on his back for a long, long time. And if I'm not mistaken, the year after the Braves mercifully traded him away, they won the NLCS.

That has to be worth something more than the hall of pretty good.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Two great seasons. Tons of average ones. Icon? Maybe. HOFer? No way.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Did he get in any snaps during his rookie season?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes, so Bledsoe threw the only TD in that drive. Who did the legwork to shorten the field? BRADY.

The week before, Brady and the Pats were shut out in the first half against the Raiders. Do you know how that game ended?

So you want us to presume that Brady, who had better stats than Bledsoe in a shorter amount of time against the Steelers and has since proven to be the greatest big-game QB in teh league, would have found a way to fritter away a game against the mistake-prone Steelers. And it's a GOOD BREAK for the Patriots to lose their great, HOF-bound QB against the Steelers? Ooooookay then.

It's also funny you say Brady had nothing going on that day when your Steelers were quarterbacked by Kordell Stewart, whom nobody has ever confused for a clutch QB. You might have forgotten, but Stewart threw THREE picks that day. THREE. That's THREE more picks than were thrown by Brady, whom the Patriots needed to lose in order to win that game.

As for the so-called debate over who to start in the Super Bowl, it was never really a debate. It was just Belichick being Belichick and witholding the information as long as he could.

Please put away the Terrible Towel before posting. Thank you.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A few points from someone who, well, was there for every frickin' second of the 2001 playoffs.

1. Bledsoe's contribution to victory was spectacular because it was so surprising. But neither he nor Brady won that game. The two quarterbacks didn't LOSE it, but the heroes were Troy Brown (TD off punt return, part of long-run lateral TD off blocked field goal) and the defense (smushed Steelers running game). You gentlemen are arguing over a sideshow.
    2. Brady's ankle looked very, very bad in the locker room that Sunday night. Two days later at media day, he still was kind of hopping a bit. Belichick said that day he'd give Brady first team snaps at the first practice and see if he could handle them. When he didn't keel over in pain Wednesday afternoon, Brady was named starter Wednesday night.
    It really was a medical decision of a starter over a backup. Nothing more to it. God, suppose Drew had had to start and the sissy Rams STILL blew the game? The QB war would be starting fatal bar fights in this town to this day.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The Terrible Towel sits on its hanger in the closet. It only comes out on game days. What Kordell has to do with any of this, I'm really not sure. But congratulations for working it in there.
    The decisive moment in that game for the Pats was Bledsoe's drive. Brady would not have gotten it done there; the Steelers were prepared for him. They were not ready for DB. And why would anyone have trouble believing that Brady was not yet Brady? A week before, he half-fumbled away NE's chance to advance, only to be saved by a dubious interpretation of a dubious rule. Brady was in the process of becoming Brady at that point. You act as if he walked across the Allegheny River on the way to the game.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I resent the insinuation that the pro-Bledsoe argument here is simply Steelers fanboyishness. I'm as blatant a Steelers fanboy as there is on this board and I agree that it is ridiculous to give Bledsoe that much credit for one good drive.

It was a big drive, but it wasn't nearly as big a turning point as the blocked punt return for a touchdown or Brown's punt return for a score after a booming punt that had pinned the Patriots deep in their own end was called back on a penalty.

Kordell Stewart was bad, but it was the special teams that were truly awful for the Steelers that day. Hmmm...quarterback turning the ball over too much and horrendous special teams. Sounds like the current team.

Draft saved Draft deleted