1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 'Hall of Pretty Good'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bernie is a CLASSIC veteran's committee enshrinee.
    Trevor Hoffman will be selected in the first election for which he's eligible.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, Bernie will look better to the veteran's committee, when they are looking at numbers rather than the fact that he was never a dominant player.

Hoffman's more deserving, but I just don't think closers get enough respect, especially one without a World Series ring.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Blasphemy!

4. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Edmonds goes in before Bernie Williams. Hoffman is a first-ballot lock. Mattingly isn't even in the conversation.

5. outofplace

I think Edmonds belongs with Bernie Williams in the Hall of Very Good. I'm surprised at the support for Hoffman. I'd be happy to be proven wrong on that one.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Damon Allen.

No, he's too good for the Hall of Good.

7. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Edmonds and Williams are both borderline and probably don't deserve entry. But if you're going to pick one of those two, it's Edmonds -- especially if he gets to 400 homers.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Bledsoe effectively got his team to the SB twice.
    If Brady doesn't get hurt in the first game against Pittsburgh, even the Steelers' numerous special-teams blunders (thanks much, Troy Edwards) would not have allowed NE to win.
    Bledsoe saved the Pats in that game. Brady was going nowhere.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To swipe a Peter King concept: Stats of Interest Only to Me

There have been 26 quarterbacks picked with the first selection of an NFL draft, including Bledsoe. Three have made the Hall of Fame (Manning surely will be number four, Jim Plunkett SHOULD be the fifth).
    Eight of those 26 have been complete horrific flops, Tim Couch being the latest example. Ever hear of Bobby Garrett of Stanford, picked first by the Browns in 1954? Me either.
    Point being, Bledsoe gets a flop rep for only making the Hall of Pretty Good. His performance is actually above average for QBs taken with the number one pick.

10. outofplace

What did Bledsoe have in that game, one drive for a touchdown? It's a bit much to give him credit for leading the Patriots to the Super Bowl just because he had one good drive.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Jim Thome

Mike Mussina

Jerome Bettis (and I'm a fanboy)

Isaac Bruce

Aeneas Williams

Michael Strahan

Grant Hill

Chris Webber

Teemu Selanne

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No fucking way is Jim Edmonds a Hall of Famer.

Draft saved Draft deleted