1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 'Hall of Pretty Good'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We all know there are Hall of Fame athletes ... then there are the borderline ones.

Like Drew Bledsoe. If he retired right this minute, he would be in the Top 10 in numerous QB categories, got his team to the Super Bowl once but didn't win. But is he a HOFer? I don't think so.

What about Tiki Barber? You can say a lot of similar things about him for the RB charts.

Baseball is full of this type of player. One could say Don Mattingly. Or Steve Garvey. Or Andre Dawson.

What about basketball? Is Scottie Pippen a HOFer even though he was voted a top-50 player in the millennial madness of '99?

Who would you select for the Triple-A of greatness (if such a thing existed) but leave out of the show?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Mark Grace

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The NBA is the only one of the big three sports where no one really gives a damn about HOF debates. I'd say Pippen is a Hall of Famer, simply because no one would ever muster the outrage to keep him out. He's deserving. Six titles, one of the greatest defensive players ever, caddy to the greatest player of all time, probably didn't deserve to be on the 50 greatest list, but made it anyway, so he's in for sure.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

I could go into the Paul Henderson debate but ... it's always opening a can of worms with hockey people.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bledsoe was far from a bad player, but he's no Hall of Famer. Closest historical equivalent would be Roman Gabriel.
    Here's a game to start arguments with, Football Bat. Which current baseball players will be selected to the Hall of Fame by the Veteran's Committee? Believe me, you countless workplace or barroom hours with that proposition.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't even know if he belongs in the hall of the pretty good.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was never a big KISS fan, but any band who inspires fans to be that passionate is definitely doing something right...

9. Wade Boggs - he was no Don Mattingly

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Would agree, except he was elected into the HOF in 2005. Let's keep the discussion on those not in the HOF who are under consideration but are found wanting.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I don't think there's much question that Mattingly possessed HOF skills, and his numbers compare favorably with Kirby Puckett's. It's not Donny's fault he couldn't pitch.

Bernie Williams is also a borderline HOF'er whose offensive numbers are up there with the Yankee greats. He also was a clutch player.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Trevor Hoffman. All-time saves leader and a great player in his own right, but I still don't think he gets in. I think Mariano Rivera is the only closer among Hoffman's contemporaries that is going to get into the Hall of Fame.

Bernie Williams warrants a spot in the Hall of Very Good, but not the Hall of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted