1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The grossest commercial ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The Pepto commercials. Hey, let's try and do a little catchy little tune and humorous vignettes about stomach and bowel discomfort. Uh, no thanks. There's a more reserved and dignified way to advertside your product.

The 'regular guy' Miller High Life commercials. Sure, nothing says to me, Captain, go buy beer, more than a 30 second spot staring into a bunch of hot dog tubes cooking a vat of water. A seminal WTF moment.

And while perhaps not gross in the truest sense, but in an advertising in reverse mode, I can pretty much damn well guarantee you I won't spend dollar one in any Applebee's for the distant future due to my absolute hatred for those recent commercials with the 2 geekmos singing. Yecch.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

No.....I'm not huge.

Unless you consider 6'1, 240 huge.

Big....yeah
    Tittybit overweight.....yeah

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Tell us -- what does ass taste like? ;D

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Duh ... ass tastes like a Sonic burger. ::)

Seriously, I love Sonic, especially their chicken strip dinner with the hockin' sized piece of ... I don't know ... Arkansas toast? (We don't call it Texas toast here ... at least we shouldn't) Finish it off with a huge Dr Pepper, root beer or a shake and you're really cookin'.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

But it's Sonic, so you can't just have a Dr. Pepper or root beer. You have to have a real Cherry Dr. Pepper or a Chocolate Cherry Root Beer. Getting a regular soda at Sonic is a crime.

6. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Should we call in Boots on this one?

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I remember a foreign car ad — from England, maybe — where the camera just stays on this tiny car while a cat climbs up on the hood, then the roof, then sticks its head in the open sunroof.

Then the sunroof shuts automatically and guillotines the cat.

I get the whole car-as-security bit and all that, but there has to be a better way to market that kind of thing.

8. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

There was an old beer commercial where there was an outdoor fly zapper above a bowl of dipping. The flies keep hitting the zapper and falling into the food. At the end of the commercial, a hot girl gives a big smile with all sort of black spots in the her bright white teeth. Ugghhhhhhhh!!!!

9. Jack_Bauer

Jack_Bauer Member

It was never on TV, but I had a buddy in college who only went without a dip when he was eating or sleeping. One day, he pulled out a piece of skin from inside his mouth that was about two inches long and one inch wide. That was enough of a PSA for me to never put in a lipper.
    He stopped dipping that day. Picked up a two-pack-a-day habit however.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Along this vein, I went to Panama City Beach for Spring Break back in 91 with six other guys. All of them dipped, but I didn't. I woke up one morning with my face literally inches from a 44-oz. cup filled nearly to the top with chew spit. I nearly vomited.

I got revenge, however, by cutting my toenails and dropping them into their beers that night.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Bud Light.

12. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I don't drink beer, so maybe I don't understand. But why have Bud Light's spots always basically been built around the premise that total morons drink their product?

That doesn't seem like a selling point to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted