1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The grief police

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 26, 2014.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Susan Smith (mom who drowned her kids in the car) all but convicted herself with her first interview pleading for her children back.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The questions about the parents' and the siblings' behavior should never be asked. Nobody ever has the right to question if somebody in that situation's grief is legitimate. The fact that they chose to speak publicly does not make them fair game.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm lost.

What is your complaint? Whose sibling behavior was questioned?

I thought you were complaining that people were questioning the whether the video truly captured James "Jim" Foley's execution as it happened, or whether there some edits to the video.

4. Smallpotatoes

"The Youtube video in my first post makes the claim that the brother and sister were a little too happy."

Then there was this line in one of the articles I posted:

"Another conspiracy suggests that Foley's parents are crisis actors. The theory notes that it is highly abnormal for parents, who just witnessed the beheading of their son on video, to appear before the media in less than 24-hours, 'full of smiles and nice sunny memories'."

Both way out of line.
    Nobody has any right to make those accusations.

5. YankeeFan

So, you don't have any problems with the Telegraph article then, or you do?

As for the YouTube thing, you need to stop looking at InfoWars. There are all sorts of kooks. Who cares? Is anyone with a brain taking their comments seriously?

6. Smallpotatoes

It still doesn't make sense to me that they would fake killing him on camera and kill him off camera. They also didn't give the name of the people who determined it to be fake, so there's no way of checking.
    Who takes Alex Jones seriously? Apparently Congress, which investigated what Jones said was the DHS stockpiling of hollow-point bullets in preparation for civil unrest. It wasn't true. It was a bulk purchase with a five-year contract. The ammo was to be used for target practice and was for hundreds of thousands of agents in several different agencies.
    But Jones saw this and freaked out saying that the government was preparing to kill millions of people.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/ssabullets.asp

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Saw thread title, thought Robin Zander died.

8. YankeeFan

It doesn't make sense to me that a white cop who execute a young, African-American, who had his hands up.

So what?

Whether it makes sense to you doesn't matter. You seem offended by the the analysis. Why?

9. Smallpotatoes

Does the analysis sound credible to you?

10. YankeeFan

I have no expertise in this matter, and so I have no idea.

People who are experts have made the claim. Have others discredited it?

11. Smallpotatoes

How do we know they're experts? We don't even know who they are.

12. YankeeFan

Now you don't trust the media?

Seriously, if the claim is bullshit, it should be easy enough do debunk. Has it been debunked?

Draft saved Draft deleted