1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Grey Cup Champion Buffalo Bills

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Absolutely The Gliebermans ran the team into the ground twice. However, the second time around, they weren't granted the franchise, they just came in for the final couple of year to make sure they killed it good. They also had a shit stadium to deal with the second time stacking the odds against the success of any ownership group in Ottawa with the Renegades. But Ottawa has more than 100 years of history in the CFL, it can be succesful there again. Cohon I thought had made it clear that any return to Ottawa was contingent on a new building or complete rebuilding of Frank Clair by 2011.

I'm not sold on London, only because I look at there already being two teams in that southern Ontario market and neither of them are wildly successful attendance-wise. Yes a shit product can have something to do with it, but even wwhen the Argos are good they are still never a great draw, they struggle to get to that 30,000 mark for attendance. Now if you wanted to talk about moving the Argos out of the SkyDome and putting them in London, there might be far more success in that.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I know a lot of the smaller centres play nine-man, but what about the bigger centres like Regina and Saskatoon? is it still nine-man or do they go up to the full 12?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sorry, I believe they play the full 12. I should have said "Saskatchewan plays *some* 9-man."

Actually, looking at the provincial activities association web site, they play 12, 9 and 6. Six would be awesome to watch.

4. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I don't think the CFL would ever move out of Toronto. You need a presence in the biggest city in the country. Would Hamilton move to London if the NHL were to go there and soak up all the corporate sponsorship? Ivor Wynne is an ancient stadium too. Seems to me some of the insurance millionaires in London could find the money to build a viable stadium, could they not?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Toronto/Ticat rivalry is one of the oldest in the league and when I was growing up in Burlington, one of the most fierce

Us good old steelworker lunch bucket types with yellow hard hats (when Hamilton was truly a working class town) loved to go up against those pretty boy homos (yeah, that's what we called them) from Toronto. There were fights in the stands before the games even started.

Ivor Wynne is a dump. It's so bad that the majority of the seats are metal bleachers and the numbers were hand written with a Sharpie.

There was some talk about building a brand new stadium downtown but I have no idea whatever happened to that.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I just can't find myself rooting for the Bills if they move to Canada. I'm sure the money will come in Toronto and all, but, I for one won't be driving from WNY to watch the Bills. A lot of Cleveland's faithful started to back the Bills when the Browns moved. I'd do the same. Even if they do suck.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The steel industry plays second fiddle to the health sciences sector which employs around 10,000 people in Hamilton.

Hamilton's economy has turned into a service industry.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Hammer still smells like the world's biggest cheeseburger fart.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Sure, health services is growing, but it's tough to say Hamilton's no longer a working-class town.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're right--demographically it's still a working class town

Except back in the day Steeltown culture played up its men as swaggering, down-and-dirty steelworkers with a lunch bucket, a hard hat and a serious attitude.

Hard to cultivate that machismo in the health services industry.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

12-team league: Halifax, Quebec City, Ottawa and one more (Portland, Spokane, Fargo, Victoria, etc.) out west.

Draft saved Draft deleted