1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Grey Cup Champion Buffalo Bills

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 2, 2009.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I've always wondered how U.S. teams would do playing by CFL rules. Not talking about an NFL team in an exhibition, but maybe some rogue high schoool league going 110 yards, 12 players etc. Sorry if this is a d_B, but do high schools in Canada play by CFL rules?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, except the problem is we're not talking about the NFL or the US. It's an irrelevant comparison

We're talking about Canada and the CFL--and I'll lay serious money on this--will never expand to the US until there's a team in Ottawa.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes, although there are some places where they play CFL rules with four downs.

Just so you don't have to watch four quarters of two and out.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'll become a Browns fan before I root for the Toronto Bills.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I know it would suck, but that's no reason to punish yourself.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think I had a thread on this last year before the Bills played in Toronto. Same premise, especially with the added thought that if the Bills went North it would likely be the end of the Argos. But The Bills going to LA instead is a little different. Still Ottawa is getting their franchise, with a new building all but approved the league has already committed to putting a team in the Capital if the building is approved and built. I would actually like to see another CFL team in Quebec City, football is huge in Quebec and you'd have the instant rivalry with Montreal, a temporary stadium could probably be built at one of the university's there until a real stadium can be built (any one from SJ.ca know what Val dor draws?), similar to Montreal using McGill and retrofitting the stadium.

But a slow, measured expansion into the US may actually work (of course being a massive failure is also just as likely), especially if Buffalo goes a few years without a team. You don't neccesarally need a football stadium, soccer stadiums/field without endzone bleachers or a deep endzone would maybe even work better because I think they already have the width and I want to say the length of field as well. I have no idea though what NW New York State has for soccer facilities or even suitablefootball facilities but I don't think it is completely undoable in that regard.

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Ottawa had two cracks at the CFL and were mismanaged into the ground. When they were a competitive team, they were a viable franchise.
    Expansion to Quebec City would be a success, I believe, I think Moncton would be more viable than Halifax, simply because it's more centrally located to draw from New Brunswick/Nova Scotia/Prince Edward Island. It would have to be marketed as an Atlantic area team.
    I had heard London, Ont. mentioned as a site once upon a time as well. Would that be viable? I think the league could go from eight to 12 teams with a gradual plan to add, say two franchises a year three or so years apart -- Ottawa and an Atlantic entry first, to stretch the league from coast to coast; with Quebec and London (or perhaps Buffalo) down the road.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Huntsie

You can thank the Glieberman's --particularly the idiot son Lonie--for the Rough Rider's demise.

My understanding s that Ottawa will be back for the 2010 season under Jeff Hunt's ownership; however, I believe there are some issues with Frank Clair Stadium

And I agree with you--Atlantic Canada, Quebec City and London would be prime candidates for expansion--in that order.

If Mark Cohon is still the commish, you can bet there won't be any clowns like Bernie & Lonie being granted franchises.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

in BC they play by American rules. I like the idea of CFL rules with 4 downs for high schools.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Alberta is all CFL rules at the highschool level I believe -- although there are a few seven or nine-man leagues I think. Constant two-and outs usually are not a problem, obviously sometimes you get the odd game where the offence can't move the ball, but you get that in the CFL for stretches sometimes as well.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think Saskatchewan plays 3-down 9-man.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I believe Frank Clair Stadium has been condemned. Only problem with tearing it down is that it is connected to the Ottawa Civic Centre which is still a very viable facility.

If anyone can make the CFL work again in Ottawa it's Jeff Hunt.

Draft saved Draft deleted