1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The greatness that is the Tampa Bay Rays

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Oct 23, 2008.

?

Which MLB team is the greatest team in the history of the sport?

1. 1927 Yankees

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. 1975 Reds

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. 1970 Orioles

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. 1998 Yankees

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2008 Rays -- In fact, this team is so great, that MLB should fold after this series, since any futur

19 vote(s)
    76.0%
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, of course not. :)

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

This talk about the Abreu trade reminds me of a story one of my Philly friends told me about the Von Hayes trade.

Apparently, someone asked Lenny Dykstra for his reaction to the trade.

"Great trade," Dykstra replied. "Who'd we get?"

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

A team with a $43 million payroll stared down and beat the $138 million Red Sox in both the regular season and ALCS, not to mention ran away from the $200 million Yankees. As far as I'm concerned, the Rays' bandwagon cannot be big enough. They deserve every bit of praise they get.

4. I can't argue with that.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sure you can. :)

6. It's to difficult.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Money in baseball is like money in elections. Money doesn't guarantee success. See Mariners, Seattle 2008 as my first example.

Also, not to make excuses for the Red Sox, but they were gimped up badly. You play with who you have available, but a healthy Mike Lowell would have made a big difference in that series.

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

:)

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: money, it doesn't guarantee success (see: 2008 Tigers) but it can help when used wisely. I don't think there's any debate that the Red Sox and Yankees do use their resources wisely. The Red Sox came within one game of the World Series, and the Yankees in a "down" year "only" won 89 games. Add in the franchise history of all three teams and it's even more profound.

Re: gimpy Red Sox, tell the Angels that, see what their response is. And let's be honest, a lot of people assumed from the moment the Rays collapsed in Game 5 -- and especially when the series got pushed to a Game 7 with Jon Lester -- that the Red Sox would win that series. Gimpy or not, people expected the Rays to fold after the All-Star Break, then in September, then in the ALDS, then in the ALCS, then when they lost Game 1 in the World Series. Hasn't happened yet.

10. KP

KP Active Member

Only certain members of SportsJournalists.com.

11. You don't want to go there, do you?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

whut?

Draft saved Draft deleted