1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The greatness of Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I love this skit about "the Golden An."

And my favourites were the number series bits where the baker always fell down the staircase, carrying the featured number's worth of pastries or baked goods.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"12
    "12 pizza piiiiiieeeeesssss"!!!!!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When we had our first child, my wife asked me how long it had been since I'd seen Sesame Street.

When I told her we watched it semi-regularly in college, she laughed and wanted to know what else we were doing at the time...

It's a great show as long as muppets are on the screen. The live-action non-muppet sequences are fucking brutal.

Grover doesn't get enough screen time.

I'm not a huge Elmo fan, but Holy Shit do kids love him.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If you want to see Grover get more screen time, watch "Play With Me, Sesame" on Sprout (11 a.m., 1 p.m., and I think one other time).

After seeing "Elmo's World" on Sesame Street for the third time I came to the realization that EVERY song he sings at the end about that day's topic is to the tune of "Jingle Bells" it drives me nuts.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Not to mention, EStreet, that the entire script is virtually the same from one Elmo's World to the next. It gets maddening.

We like "Play With Me, Sesame" as well, in part because of the raucous Bert vs. Ernie segments.

rb

6. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

My mother, God lover her, allowed me to replicate that bit in her kitchen.

She also let me "be" the Swedish Chef once. When I was 34.

Somewhere, maybe The New Yorker, I remember reading an analysis of Sesame Street that referred to the Swedish Chef's "giddy nihilism."

Loved that and hated it, for being a better description ---- of anyone or anything ---- than I will ever write in my entire life.

7. Rockbottom

Just a pick, but I think the Swedish Chef was a Muppet Show-only masterpiece.

RB

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

I drip of fail.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I asked this on another board, but ... What's the deal with Mr. Noodle, and his brother, Mr. Noodle?

Are they supposed to be mentally ill?

10. Rockbottom

Mr. Noodle, his brother (and sister Miss Noodle, played by Kristin Chenoweth) are basically big kids. Think Tom Hanks in Big, only about Elmo's age. They need to learn stuff.

RB

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Do you drip of fail all over your boots?

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

So the shorter answer is, yes, they are mentally ill.

And, knowing that, why does Elmo insist on asking one of them how to do stuff at the start of every episode? It's borderline cruel.

Also, today I was watching, and the Noodles had a sister who was black. Does that mean the two Mr. Noodles' mother was running around on their dad?

Draft saved Draft deleted