1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The greatness of LeBron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 23, 2009.

1. topsheep

topsheep Member

Game 6, 1980 Finals, at the Philly Spectrum. Kareem has a migrain, doesn't play. Magic plays center. 42 and 15. Lakers win the title. He was a rookie.

2. topsheep

topsheep Member

Kareem may have been hurt that game, but he always had killer headaches that kept him out of games.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know, but it was one game that three was needed to win it all. And who was the center for the Sixers? Dawkins?

Kareem was 31/12 with .579 shooting percentage in that year's playoffs. That shooting percentage is unholy.

I don't think Oscar Robertson won one without the big fella either.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

While Rasheed is definitely a head case, I don't think he killed that Pistons team. What killed that Pistons team was Larry Brown deciding to move on YET AGAIN and being replaced by Flip Saunders, whose mindset and system was not suited for the strengths of that team - defense and grittiness. Once Saunders took over, that team lost the defensive toughness that fueled their two runs to the Finals under Larry Brown.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hate the whole "he wouldn't have won without him" argument. Shaq wouldn't have won his titles with the Lakers without Kobe. Kobe wouldn't have won three titles without Shaq. Stupid argument that goes nowhere. Fast.

Doc....I agree with everything you said. And I hate myself for it. :)

6. To say Magic never won a title without Kareem is factually correct, but it can be argued otherwise.

Have you looked up Kareem's numbers for the Lakers' last title season, 93? He was a shell of his former self and his playoff numbers weren't any better.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It is a little uncanny how, when Shaq was still good, everywhere he went, the perimeter players got really good, really fast.

Not that Kobe wasn't already good.

8. topsheep

topsheep Member

suburbia, there's lots of merit in your post. it's sad when something with the potential to historically special implodes like that.

93, Dawkins was a monster back then. Point is, few teams win without that 1-2 (sometimes 1-2-3) punch.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No but had he never had Pippen, it would be interesting to see if he had six titles.

Like I said on the NBA thread, it is tough to win the NBA title with only one star-caliber player.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And who can forget Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Psst, zag. Look up about 10 posts.

12. noodles

noodles Member

Look at the Game 3s of the conference finals. Bryant hits every big shot, goes for 41 and leads the Lakers to a road win. James, coming off the shot that might have saved an entire city, misses what, four key free throws and his team loses on the road. Now they may bounce back tonight, but James is a miracle 3 away from being down 0-3 in a year that might be his best shot to win it all.

Even George Karl admitted as much during Sunday's game - Bryant is the best closer in the game. What can be said about James? Unbelievable talent. Limitless potential, but...

I second this emotion - James has done nothing until he wins a title.

Draft saved Draft deleted