1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The greatness of LeBron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 23, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I know we have an NBA thread but I wanted to break this out to discuss this specific question.

My son is not a LeBron hater by any stretch. Just not a big fan. He's a Dwight Howard guy and is pulling for an Orlando-Denver finale (he hates Kobe). I love to rag the kid and I tell him all the time LeBron is the greatest. Ever. I've never really been serious about it until last night. He drops that thing in and my kid turns to me and goes, "Well, hell. Maybe you are right."

Clearly, not yet. Doesn't have the body of work of Jordan and Russell and so many others. I guess this is like a Tiger chasing Jack thing. Is LeBron on that track or are we totally overstating things?

The guy freaking dazzles me. I thought Eric Maynor was the only thing that could get me to watch the NBA again. Maybe not.

I've seen some clutch shit in my many years of life. That shot last night ranks right up there.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How great is LeBron?

He makes Cleveland think it can win it all.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He is a tremendous player who'll almost certainly finish his career ranked among the 5-10 best of all-time. Where in that list he'll finish is still up to the future to decide.
    Fair or unfair (unfair to Jerry West, certainly, but not to Wilt), titles end up casting a deciding vote in those ratings.

4. It was phenomenal. They had switched over from the Blackhawks game at my local BW3, and after Turkoglu hits his shot, I said to my companions: "If he wants to be great, it has to start here."

A few seconds later, he drills it.

The entire bar went nucking futs.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

After he hit, everyone in my office was discussing whether or not this would be his "shot".

If they win the title this year, it will definitely be a shot that goes into his lore.

Talking to a buddy the other day and I think LeBron is one of those athletes - kind of like Pedro in the late '90s - where you never know what he will do each game.

I remember every time Pedro pitched I would check the boxscore to see how many he had struck out. The same thing goes for me with LeBron.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Sometimes I wonder if he would have the stones to play in the West, though.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

^Ha.

The shot was amazing. It looked good as soon as the ball left his hands.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

It all depends on how many titles he wins. He's great enough in his skill set, that, if the titles come, the only question left will be if he's No. 1 or No. 2.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You mean it didn't start two years ago in Game 7 of the Eastern Finals when he had perhaps the greatest fourth quarter ever to singlehandedly carry the Cavs to the franchise's first ever finals? Damn, you're a tough judge. I thought this guy's greatness trek was waay past started by now.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It actually starts when he signs with the Bulls.

11. topsheep

topsheep Member

Anyhoo, there's nothing about him I don't love, starting with his personality, then his work ethic.

He had some deficiencies but, from what I read in an article about him, busted his balls last summer to correct them i.e. changing the angle of his arm for jumpshots while also committing to play interior defense. The other thing is, as the article mentioned, he's just now acquiring his man strength. Most of what he did before was the raw man-child talent. Now he's all man and just getting bigger, stronger, faster.

He's a sexy beast.

If they win it this year, he'll stay in Cleveland. Hell, even if they don't he might. They built him a state-of-the-art practice facility near the arena, and the organization is doing the little things to win his heart and mind.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Knicks in '10. Maybe the Knicks go for it all in 2010 by signing LeBron and Wade, although I think the Lakers will go after Wade.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Whether the Cavs win it all this year or not, I have no doubt LeBron will never hit the market in 2010. He'll sign a max extension before the start of the 09-10 season and end up playing his entire career in Cleveland.

The only problem with that is TSP will have one less thing to whine "these things only happen in Cleveland" about. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted