1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Greatness of Buster Olney

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

While Jemele turns out her high profile once a week page 2 column, in another part of mouse.com Buster Olney quietly turns out a daily blog that is perhaps the best and most informative column on the site.

If you want to know and learn about MLB it is a must read. Here is a good example why:

Got this e-mail about Greg Maddux from a pro pitcher who asked that his name be withheld: I just wanted to respond to a reader comment you published on December 8th. Bob from Chicago doubts how much Greg Maddux helps younger players and pitchers but I have first-hand experience with Maddux as a young pitcher when I was with the Braves organization. I attended spring training with the Braves major league team in 2000, and Maddux was incredibly helpful to me. He took time each day to work with me on throwing a changeup. I literally spent every day for a month being tutored by one of the greatest pitchers in the history of the game and I think Maddux did it because he enjoyed helping a young guy out and enjoyed teaching. Beyond that, he always took moments throughout the day to provide "teaching points" on whatever we were doing, whether it was while we were taking PFP or while we were in the batting cage. He didn't just share his thoughts with me, but with all of the young pitchers in camp. I think I learned more about baseball in that month I spent with him than in my entire career up to that point. So, I just wanted to say, keep up the "cliche" of Maddux benefitting younger players/pitchers on the staff. Perhaps my experience was unique, but I doubt it. San Diego will reap the benefits of this signing, not just with Maddux's performance but also the guidance that he will share with their developing staff.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So let's play guess the pitcher.
    Jason Marquis?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Absolutely not. Has unteachable tendencies.

My guess is it's someone who is no longer active...someone who may have attended only one big league camp. I don't see Jason Marquis (or any current big leaguer) sending an email to Olney.

4. Moderator1

I'm drawing a blank on the makeup of the 2000 Braves.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

SP *Tom Glavine
    SP Greg Maddux
    SP Kevin Millwood
    SP John Burkett
    SP Andy Ashby
    CL *John Rocker
    RP *Mike Remlinger
    RP Kerry Ligtenberg
    RP *Terry Mulholland
    RP Scott Kamieniecki

*Bruce Chen
    Jason Marquis
    Rudy Seanez
    Greg McMichael
    Stan Belinda
    Don Wengert
    Kevin McGlinchy
    Luis Rivera
    Dave Stevens
    Ismael Villegas
    Gabe Molina
    Chris Seelbach

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Damn, I was just about to post the same thing, Doc. Nice work.

I say Greg McMichael...if it was someone who even made the regular season roster.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nah, not McMichael...he was like 11teen years old by that point.

And I guarantee it's not Rocker. Big limb I'm going out on there! :D

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

perhaps Terry Mulholland

9. Moderator1

Seelbach is a good option. Fits BYH's criteria above, I believe.

McMichael was attempting his comeback that year. He'd pitched plenty with the Braves earlier, was their closer for a couple of years.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Thanks, guys. I'm a moron.

For some reason--couldn't tell you why--I thought we were talking about 1991. Again, don't know why.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

ISTR McGlinchy experimenting with a changeup around that time.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Ligtenberg.

Draft saved Draft deleted