1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The greatest song never sung

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I thought maybe this thread was going to be about Jessica by the Allman Brothers.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Canada's anthem is definitely better than the U.S.'s because it is easy to sing and the lyrics kind of fit the make-up of the people. I guess it is a matter of preference. I like anthems that are more rousing. My top three would be Russia, France and Italy. With the UK and Germany in the mix, but not nearly as good as Russia, for example.

I have no idea what the Russians are singing, but it just sounds like marauding cossacks pumping themselves up for battle to me.

The Italian anthem is an old military march, but full of Italian flair. It's full of crescendos and it ends with a bang. I always imagine the last verse being, "OK, now let's eat!"

The French anthem is full of piss and vinegar. Stanzas about tyrants and traitors and fields soaked with blood. I always visualize the guillotine working overtime. Ms. Ragu grew up there and she says the lyrics frightened her when she was growing up.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

An extremely overrated moment in my book. Not only does the fact that it was pre-recorded suck, but it set a regrettable precedent of many others trying to copy Whitney with their own oversung drawn-out "unique" version of the anthem.

That shit's gotten annoying over the years. In my opinion, the best version is whatever finishes it fastest, I'm not interested in hearing a long drawn-out demonstration of your vocal range.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Does anyone hog the mic more than Mariah Carey? She's unwatchable.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I always liked the Soviet/Russian anthem. Agree that it is stirring even if I don't have a clue what it is about.

I'll take the American anthem over the Canadian. I think I like it more because it tells a story while the Canadian anthem is just sort of there.

I remember being a kid and having to sing God Save the Queen as well as O Canada. Not too go full Starman but even as a kid it pissed me off that we were singing about one person being better than the rest.

I had a humorless teacher who didn't take kindly to overhearing a bunch of little boys singing God Shave the Queen and sending us to the principal's office.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wasn't she dating Bobby Brown during this?

Hell, they were lucky she even showed up.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Canadian anthem was butchered at the NHL All-Star game in Nashville with a couple of sisters twanging it up.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

As a small child, I wondered what Canada had against God that they would stand on him, nevermind the logistics of doing so. ("Oh Canada, we stand on God for thee.")

I admit to tearing up during the "La Marseillaise" scene in "Casablanca" and the "Internationale" scene in "Reds."

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The SSB is an amazing song if sung at the proper tempo, right at about one minute. Too many singers turn it into a dirge, or mess up the words. I prefer the instrumental version, performed quickly.

Growing up this guy "tenor Joe Byron" performed the SSB and Oh Canada before Sabres games at the Aud. He rocked them and the whole shebang was completed in less than three minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted