1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Greatest Pitcher You've Never Heard Of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LevinTBlack, Mar 28, 2011.

1. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Story isn't the best quality of writing but the info and topic are fascinating. It would seem like this guy is an all-time great and deserves to be in the HOF along with the other Negro League pitching greats. Some of the stuff is probably exaggerated but it definitely seems like most of it is true and he really was a dominant pitcher for a long time.

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201103/greatest-pitcher-youve-never-heard

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's the problem with Negro League records. Most teams couldn't afford to pay full-time score/stat-keepers, and those that did often didn't differentiate between league games, barnstorming games and games against local pick-up teams.

Interesting story, though.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I remember Donaldson. Could really bring the high heat. Couldn't carry my jock though.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought this was a Sidd Finch thread.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Ah, but you've now heard of him.

There's a girl at Division III Messiah College who has pitched 35.2 innings this season -- and has given up no hits. 0-for-106, 67 strikeouts.

http://www.messiah.edu/athletics/sports/softball/statistics/2011/teamcume.htm

That's the greatest pitcher you've never heard of.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Is it possible she is "The Second Coming?"

7. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Softball pitching stats carry even less value than deadball era pitching stats. A good pitcher in softball never gives up anything and go almost every game because there is very little strain on the shoulder.

8. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I'm sure if you'd like to step in against a high school or college softball pitcher, one could be found.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's also very simplistic. Yeah, there are a lot of 1-0, 2-1 games in softball. But nobody's squeezed a ground single through the right side on this girl in 35 2/3 innings, and it isn't high school ball; there are some good athletes in the high levels of D-III, which Messiah is at. Try it some time.

10. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Who said they aren't skilled. They are and actually more so than baseball pitchers. A big reason why softball is so low scoring is because you can do a heck of lot more when pitching underhand. I've read quite a bit about it. I respect all that they can do and think it is ridiculous how much spin and speed they can create. However, because so many pitchers dominate in softball their dominance isn't as remarkable. That is why I used dead ball era in my previous post. Yes they dominated at a ridiculous level but it was because they more of advantage during that era. Softball pitchers, as great as they are, have more of an advantage because they can do all sorts of things with the way it is pitched.

In general the more common something is the less remarkable it is.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Well done.

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Good story, and I liked watching the video.

Seems like more of these films (Bill Mazeroski, Gehrig/Ruth) have been coming out of the woodwork lately. Good for us.

Draft saved Draft deleted