1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The greatest mystery in modern media history finally revealed...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Sep 2, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...and it requires an outing alert:

The Stig is...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100901/ap_on_en_tv/eu_britain_top_gear

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Have never seen TG, but seeing this all over the place today. So, what's the big deal? Seems like a show created a mysterious (and largely fictional) character, and they're pissed that one of the guys who played the character ID'd himself. Does it add something to the show that we didn't know who was driving cars? Seriously, I don't get why this is such big news. Isn't it something akin to revealing who the dude inside the Barney costume is?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There's a dude inside the Barney costume? Get out!

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Read the wikipedia article on The Stig - it appears this isn't the first time the Stig was revealed. Also seems pretty clear that the outing was first reported in January.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Top Gear is one of my all-time favorite shows, and I'm not even a big car guy.

They jokingly revealed the Stig earlier this year (or last) as Michael Schumacher. I don't care who it is as long as he can drive and stand mute in awkward situations.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No, it's not like Barney.

He's not merely a character -- he's the driver for their test track, and he's faster than anyone else they bring in. The Stig's time is the benchmark they use, and it was clear he's a hell of a driver. That led to intense speculation over who it might be.

That said, those who were really interested were pretty sure it was Ben Collins anyway, because legal papers involving a bad accident during a stunt showed he was employed as a consultant to the show.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love Top Gear. Not excited about the American version.

Long Live The Stig!

8. Sports_Scribe

Sports_Scribe Member

The question still remains: Who plays the GEICO gecko?
    [​IMG]

9. John

John Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about why Craig Sager is still employed.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Everyone knew it was GB Hack, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted